Geronimo -- Strat or Burns?

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Geronimo -- Strat or Burns?

Postby Bojan » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:35 pm

I had always thought that Geronimo was a Strat number . . . that is until I heard Gege playing it on his Burns Marvin on Youtube, and it sounded 100% right, so now I'm wondering whether it was played on the Burns after all . . . :wtf:
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Re: Geronimo -- Strat or Burns?

Postby AlanMcKillop » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:21 pm

It was recorded outwith the official timescale of the Burns, but I too believe it was recorded using a Burns Marvin, perhaps a prototype? ;)
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby Didier » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:08 am

AlanMcKillop wrote:It was recorded outwith the official timescale of the Burns, but I too believe it was recorded using a Burns Marvin, perhaps a prototype? ;)

According to Malcolm Campbell's book "A pocket guide to Shadow music", Geronimo was recorded in december 1962, and released only a year later. Was there already a Burns prototype in december 1962 ?
Could such a prototype, if it existed, sounds the same as Gégé's Burns Marvin 2004 reissue ?

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby JimN » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:05 pm

Burns prototypes were being supplied to Hank (and maybe to Bruce) from approximately the spring or very early summer of 1962 onward.

Hank mentioned the "custom guitar project" on a UK TV programme shown in May 1962 ("Dan Farson Meets The Shadows"), explaining that they had already drawn up some design ideas. Later, when the production model was released (around March/April 1964), it was emphasised several times that the prototype (ie, development) phase had lasted for 18 months with 30+ prototypes having been made. Other press interviews (notably one from late 1963) indicated that some last-minute changes were being made at that stage.

None of this - factual - primary history sits easily with any notion of the Burns project being prompted by "faulty" Strats in 1963. It was all well under way by then, and to some extent was an even more natural development than the merchandising of Shadows-branded strings, plectra, echo units, etc, in partnership with Jennings Musical Industries. The more puzzling thing is why Jennings weren't involved, given their existing relationship with The Shadows. Perhaps at the crucial time (late/1961/early 1962), Vox guitars weren't good enough (the pro-quality versions of the Phantom and Soundcaster were still some time away) and Burns had already proven themselves with the Bison.

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby fenderplucker » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:45 am

Hi,

Have you checked out the Strat version posted recently in the Sound Files section?

Paul
fenderplucker

Full Real Name: Paul Rossiter

Postby Bojan » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:32 pm

Oh Paul, why did you have to post your version of Geronimo?
Now you've got me confused all over again because your sound is spot on, and so is your playing. :D

Bojan
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Return to How To Get "That Sound"