How to get the Ventures (!) sound.

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, George Geddes

Re: How to get the Ventures (!) sound.

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:16 pm

JimN wrote:Nokie's version of Apache is only for Shadows fans who are not of a nervous disposition.

Ha ha. Actually, I'm glad he does it his way. It's homage to a great number, pure and simple. Far better that than do it the way we know it. We'd only pull it to bits in our well-meaning way!

ip
Iain Purdon
site organiser
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Which sound?

Postby abstamaria » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:40 pm

Iain_P wrote:But back to the Ventures.
I'm inclined to agree. They have made some very good records and seem to have been around for ever. I can't say there was anything specific about their sound that I thought was characteristic or could nail in my mind. If you played me a Ventures record I hadn't heard and told me it was somebody else playing I'd happily accept that -- and vice versa. - Iain

I agree completely, Iain. The reason is that there is no such thing as a Ventures "sound." I should have been more specific when I started the thread; I should have said "How to get Bob Bogle's early sound, specifically 'Walk Don't Run,' 'Blue Moon,' maybe certain others."

I admire Nokie's skill as a guitarist, but it was Bogle's early, simpler style that attracted me. If Nokie has been the Ventures' lead from the beginning, thin strings and all, the Ventures may never have appealed to me. I know though that most Ventures fans tend to identify more with Nokie and the Mossrite years. It's just a question of personal preferences and likes.

I am close I think to Bogle's sound now, so that is quite exciting to me. But what is strange is that there are at least three major forums dedicated to capturing the Shadows' sound and and several regional ones, but absolutely none on the Ventures. There are good backing tracks for the Shadows pieces, but, except for some Japanese versions (played usually at a much faster tempo than original), there are none for the Ventures. Perhaps, that underlies a major difference between the two groups.

Best,

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby cockroach » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:03 pm

Perhaps with the Ventures, it's a bit like jazz, Andy- the tune gets played a certain way with a certain sound and feel, never to be exactly repeated, by whoever is playing in the band at that specific time, rather than a perfect reproduction of a specific tune with a signature sound and style every time, regardless of the people who are in the band at any time?

Ah, what the hell, I like 'em all!

It would be good to see Hank, Bruce, Brian Bennett, Nokie and Don etc ALL on stage playing together before they all join dear old Jet Harris, Bob Bogle, Bert Weedon, Mel Taylor, Tony Meehan, John Rostill and Bob Bogle, plus Chet Atkins, Les Paul, Django Jimi Hendrix and many others in music heaven!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby abstamaria » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:06 am

You are right, John. When I was very young and listened to music as any average (non-musical) teenager would, I regarded the Shadows and the Ventures as comparable, perhaps "rival" groups. As a 60-year-old now studying them more carefully, I have realized that one can't appreciate them in the same way; they are the proverbial apples and oranges, unless one speaks of specific Ventures lead guitarists.

That would be a fantastic show. I would travel to see that!

Best regards from the scorching (35 degrees C) tropics,

Andy
abstamaria

Walk Don't Run - not standard pitch?

Postby abstamaria » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:14 pm

This is probably old knowledge, but could someone please confirm whether The Ventures' first (1960) version of "Walk Don't Run" (in the Walk Don't Run album) is played at a higher pitch than standard?

It may be the recording was speeded up, resulting in a slightly higher pitch? Or it could be just my ears.

Andy
abstamaria

Previous

Return to How To Get "That Sound"