Apache

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Apache

Postby jmboeren » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:14 pm

Dear all,

As i try to collect all used sounds in Apache, i stil can't find on what way the clicking is made when the song starts.
If i am informed well, the original number starts with Chinese drums, after that the guitar comes in, right with that clicking sound.
Does anyone know how it's done?
I am thinking of just clicking the drum sticks on each other?

I hope some of you have got the answer,

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

JohnB
jmboeren

Re: Apache

Postby abstamaria » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:15 am

John,

We tried to do a very close cover of Apache two years ago on stage for the Madeleine Cookie Company. I asked advice on your query then also. Drumsticks can be used, we thought, but the sound was little thin. We ended up using a clave that sounded very close to the recording. That means, to do Apache on stage, one needs a person on the Chinese drum (we used an authentic chinese drum, beaten by one of the girls on the chorus) and another on the clave, plus the 4-man band. There are pictures elsewhere on this forum.

My best,

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby jmboeren » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:58 am

Very usefull!

Thank you Andy.

Best regards,

JohnB
jmboeren

Postby dave robinson » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:19 am

I believe that the clicking sound was done by Tony Meehan tapping his stick on either the side of a drum, rim or a stand. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Lee Haydn » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:25 pm

As a drummer i would play that on one of the tom rims, there is no other reference i know of to say it was done any different,,
Lee Haydn

Postby abstamaria » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:57 pm

The drummer seems quite busy during the intro. One can hear a cymbal being struck simultaneously with the clicking sound, and below them faint thumps on the tom. The clicks could have been overlaid, of course, and could easily have been the drummer hitting the rim. As I mentioned, for the shows, we had the alternate drummer use the closest sounding clave we could find.

By the way, the video we posted recently in a thread (Madeleine Cookie Company) in the sound files section has a good view of our authentic Chinese drum in use during our take on "Apache." Here's the link for your convenience, if you're interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU4DfWQBiUo

In notes on the original Abbey Road recording, Cliff was said to have kept good time throughout. This has puzzled me, as it implied the Chinese drum was in use throughout, but I can only hear it in the intro and outro and in the middle, muted section.

Regards,

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Return to How To Get "That Sound"