HELP! Confusion re "That Sound?"

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

HELP! Confusion re "That Sound?"

Postby Strummer » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:38 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering if I should get a LapTop Computer, and get Charlie hall EFTP installed and that it would resolve my HBM issues re That Sound?

Do I need to do anything else? Like a particular type of foot pedal for instance? I am just sooo confused with all the different types etc, and, as ESE Echomatic are no longer in business I thought perhaps a good Lap Top would resolve all the issues in regard to That Sound?

CAN ANYONE ADVISE/HELP PLEASE? THIS IS NOW BECOMING UNBELIEVABLY INTOLERABLE/FRUSTRATING!

I am throwing myself at your feet for good, sound advice. (Basically, will it "resolve" my dilemma/issues once and for all?)

I'm lost?
Strummer

Re: HELP! Confusion re "That Sound?"

Postby Jay Bass » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:27 pm

Hi
what sound are you looking to achieve
Hank has had very different sounds over the years.
The late 50's early 60's sound is different to the burns era
The 70's are a different again etc
there is also a difference in the recorded sound and the live performance sound.
if by the sound you mean the different echo and effects ,then any charlie Hall unit will get you close
as will some others.
you Couild play Hanks guitar through Hanks amp and effects and sound like hank but it would not be identical
as everybody has a different technique and feel for what they are playing.

regards
Jay
Jay Bass

Full Real Name: Jay Van Harte

Postby dave robinson » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:41 pm

Hi Arthur, I recently switched from PC to Apple Mac and have had excellent results in obtaining the sound we are all seeking. I recently posted 'Wonderful Land' and 'Cosy' which were recorded via a Pinnacle valve amplifier but using the Mac as the echo box. The feedback in general was that it was excellent, some even believed it to be Charlie Hall's new echo box - the echo patches were in fact based on the echoes from my ESE Echomatic.
I have done equally convincing recordings using the Mac only, that is without an external amplifier. The amps and effects are all in the 'LOGIC Pro 9' programme on the Mac. It isn't cheap, but I don't think that it is vastly expensive either for what you are getting. I have used the Mac live on stage and it sounds awesome !

I had tried various pieces of PC software but none came anywhere near the quality of the Logic Pro 9 / Main Stage programme on the Mac.
However there is a programme called 'Pro Tools' which is PC compatible, that is supposed to be as good, though I have yet to hear or have the opportunity to try it.
The Mac/Logic does everything I will ever need to obtain the sound, so I have no desire to take a step backwards to PC technology ever again, as in the past they have just given me stress. Not so with my Mac.

If you need any help I will do my best to try and provide it, but it is relatively new to me.
I will bring my two demo threads back to the top for you to sample the sound.
:)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Olsson » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:36 pm

Hi Dave

I must say I am impressed. Are You sure there is no ECC in Your Mac :?

/Bertil

What is an ECC ?
Olsson

Full Real Name: Bertil Olsson

Postby Strummer » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:06 pm

dave robinson wrote:Hi Arthur, I recently switched from PC to Apple Mac and have had excellent results in obtaining the sound we are all seeking. I recently posted 'Wonderful Land' and 'Cosy' which were recorded via a Pinnacle valve amplifier but using the Mac as the echo box. The feedback in general was that it was excellent, some even believed it to be Charlie Hall's new echo box - the echo patches were in fact based on the echoes from my ESE Echomatic.
I have done equally convincing recordings using the Mac only, that is without an external amplifier. The amps and effects are all in the 'LOGIC Pro 9' programme on the Mac. It isn't cheap, but I don't think that it is vastly expensive either for what you are getting. I have used the Mac live on stage and it sounds awesome !

I had tried various pieces of PC software but none came anywhere near the quality of the Logic Pro 9 / Main Stage programme on the Mac.
However there is a programme called 'Pro Tools' which is PC compatible, that is supposed to be as good, though I have yet to hear or have the opportunity to try it.
The Mac/Logic does everything I will ever need to obtain the sound, so I have no desire to take a step backwards to PC technology ever again, as in the past they have just given me stress. Not so with my Mac.

If you need any help I will do my best to try and provide it, but it is relatively new to me.
I will bring my two demo threads back to the top for you to sample the sound.
:)

Hi Dave, you are most kind. I thionk you know I have a VOX AD30 VT, well, I have TWO of them now, Lol!

I was really looking to try and buy an ESE Echomatic, but, as you also know they are no longer in business. I was talking to my daughter and i also read Bojan's thread on "The Sound" and I thought, "Hmmm, maybe I should go the LapTop way?"

I will be only too pleased to accept any help you can afford to give me. I own a Japanese Fender Stratocaster in Fiesta Red. I am having Gold hardware fitted to it asap. So, the nearer I can get to HBM's "sound" the better. I will concentrate on his later sound with the Burns at a later date. I own three Burns guitars also, a Cobra, Marvin and an Apache. Beautiful guitars in my opinion. I must say though, the Fender Stratocaster has got me as a fan now. Lol1

Thanks for your help in this Dave, much appreciated I assure you

Best wishes

Arthur
Strummer

Postby Olsson » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:00 pm

ECC83, the first valve in a Meazzi Echo !

/Bertil
Olsson

Full Real Name: Bertil Olsson

Postby dave robinson » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:27 pm

Olsson wrote:ECC83, the first valve in a Meazzi Echo !

/Bertil

Thanks.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Return to How To Get "That Sound"