What strings to use on a J200?

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

What strings to use on a J200?

Postby abstamaria » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:09 pm

In Dave Robinson's interesting thread "Is it all down to the lead guitar - I think not," there is a side discussion on strings that Bruce might have used on his (Cliff's) Gibson J200 in the early years. Robby coomented that, to his ears, it seemed the J200 was strung with flatwounds. I had never thought of using anything but roundwound strings on our J200, but that was more of a default decision as the guitar came with roundwounds. I will listen more carefully to the rhythm section of the early pieces as Robby suggests. From memory (I am away from home now), his assessment seems correct.

I Googled a bit and was surprised a number of rock musicians do use flatwounds on acoustics, including on J200s. It seems Buddy Holly used them and also the Beatles on their acoustics. If the Beatles used flatwounds, were they simply continuing a practice common in the UK in the late 50s, and would the Shadows therefore have used flatwounds as well? It seems reasonable to assume so. This is quite intriguing.

In an archived discussion in the old ShadowMusic forum, JimN asked Didier whether a certain sunburst J200 with flatwounds was used in a Shadows cover show they were discussing. That made me wonder whether the topic I have raised now is an old, settled one.

We have a 2nd acoustic we use; in the meantime, I will string that with flatwounds. I find flatwpunds so pleasant to use (I installed a set on the Jazzmaster) and am hopeful they might cut the brittleness and edge I sometimes hear in our amplified acoustic sound.

But comments from the knowledgeable here will be much appreciated. I am very much a tyro here. And thanks, Robby.

My best,

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Return to How To Get "That Sound"