Plectrum position: early sound

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Plectrum position: early sound

Postby me-and-my-shadow » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:32 pm

Being a newbie right here, I expect this has already been discussed at length...however
I could never figure out just how to ephasise that Strat bark as heard on the early releases suach as The Savage, FBI, Frightened City etc and Ive been playing since the late 50s. I was enlightened by an enthusiast sometime ago. The bark can be achieved by turning the tip of the plectrum at a slight angle so it addresses the string almost from the plectrum side edge initially. Thats not the whole story though..at the same time the tip of your thumb has to make the slightest contact with the string. OK its not easy..get it wrong and you will completely duff the note all together. I only attempt it if Im feeling confident that I wont mess up....which gets more often as the years go by. :?
me-and-my-shadow

Full Real Name: John cauley

Re: Plectrum position: early sound

Postby roger bayliss » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:27 pm

See 'Whence The Twang' Thread. Probably more so for the early numbers but not so much Top Boost onwards and each tune might have it's own plectrum useage as guitarists we should understand that the way we hit the strings and how is usually the first point of call for 'tone' .
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:57 pm

David Martin, founder of these boards and former guitarist with Legend, gives a very good demonstration of plectrum technique and how to achieve that (early) sound.

Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby me-and-my-shadow » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:50 pm

Granted ! . . . . . personally I've always thought it easier to get the early sound rather than the contemporary. The plectrums I use now are nothing like those I used 50s/60s. I tend to cut them down now, the other inovation I use at times (someones going to tell me its old hat no doubt) is to super glue to different grades of pectrum together at circa 90 deg to each other. The benefit is when a softer tone is required, maybe even mid track, I can easily switch from one grade to the other ..and back. J.
me-and-my-shadow

Postby roger bayliss » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:21 pm

Thats a good idea actually . Apparently Hank uses george dennis sharps 1.3 mm these days . I found a good 'Sharp' pick that Dunlop makes in Delrin that would make a good substitute and a lot of pro players use them too...

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products ... itar_picks

I have ordered a few to give them a try. I usually tend to stick with Delrin 500 1.14mm but I will try these out.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby me-and-my-shadow » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:33 pm

Think Id better try these too. John
me-and-my-shadow

Postby me-and-my-shadow » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:05 pm

Yep....works for me. Smooths off the top noticably. I like ! J.
me-and-my-shadow

Return to How To Get "That Sound"