Backing tracks

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Backing tracks

Postby denzil » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:18 am

Hello folks am new here.

I want to know how I can get original backing tracks of early Shads. Got all the UB Hank stuff and loads of others, but they can't reproduce the sound of the Norrie Paramore strings from Wonderful Land, Atlantis, Theme for young lovers etc. I hate all these electronically reproduced strings. I know there's software out there that can remove the lead guitar from the original tracks, but that's way over my head. Any suggestions? I've always been amazed that people go to such lengths to get the Hank sound, and then use cheezy backing tracks.
Cheers all Dennis
denzil

Re: Backing tracks

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:16 am

Hello Dennis

As far as I know (and I will certainly be corrected) there are two fairly simple ways to get most of the Shadows without Hank provided you have a stereo recording. It works for some records but not others

1) If Hank is on one side of the stereo image only, use the other side on its own

2) If Hank is in the middle of the stereo image, reverse the phase of just one side of the stereo image, not the other, then mix the two sides together in mono. Hank will disappear!

Hope this helps a bit

Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:23 am

By the way, as far as I know there are no Norrie Paramor strings in the original Theme for Young Lovers. The last chord is so rich that you can imagine an orchestra there. However, string effects were added by Cliff Hall when the number was re-recorded for Polydor. That arrangement has become the preferred one when there are keyboards available.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby denzil » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:02 am

Thanks folks
I have the two versions of TFYl and always assumed the strings one was a Norrie jobby. Will have to check out the phasing stuff but i'm a technical no hoper, so will probably be back on here soon!!!
Cheers Dennis
denzil

Return to How To Get "That Sound"