Line 6 Pod Line-up?

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Line 6 Pod Line-up?

Postby dyker124 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:11 am

Hi All,

I am thinking of purchasing either a Line 6 X3 Pod (now no longer manufacured but at reduced price), or the new Line 6 HD Pod. At the moment my line-up is:-

Guitar -> MagicStomp -> BOSS CS-3 -> BOSS GE-7 -> Roland Cube 30X Amplifier -> Digital recorder.

If I purchase one of the above where do you think it ought to go in the line-up. Would it be:-

1) Guitar -> Pod -> MagicStomp -> Amplifier -> Recorder

2) Guitar -> Magicstomp -> Pod -> Amplifier -> Recorder

Please give reasons if possible.

Also, if any of you have any experience with either of the above Pod's, please could I have your preference and why?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards
Roger
dyker124

Full Real Name: Roger John Dyke

Re: Line 6 Pod Line-up?

Postby roger bayliss » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:40 pm

I would say guitar, MS, POD, Amp, recorder. I have a POD xt and never used it with an amp though and my setup was guitar , MS, POD, recorder
The echo usually comes first for the vintage lineup except if you want to do send/returns.

HTH
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby 51 Relic » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:06 pm

Hi I own a Pod XT as well and i put this after the delay unit (EFTP) then on to the recorder or AER amp or PA for live use . I have gigged for many years using this set up (AC15 setting is 1st class )
51 Relic

Postby dyker124 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:12 pm

Hi Roger and 51 Relic,

Thank you both for your very valued replies. It looks like it will be MagicStomp first then.

Kind regards
Roger
dyker124

Postby davec » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:55 pm

Hi Roger,

Some of the PODs have an effects loop, which can be set as "pre" or "post" amplifier. All the rack mounted POD Pros and the POD X3 Live fall into this category but I'm not sure about the X3 or the 500/600 series. If the POD that you buy has this facility then I can recommend putting the MagicStomp (and all your other effects) in the "pre" loop.

Regards
DaveC
davec

Full Real Name: David Coombes

Postby dyker124 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:38 pm

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for the info. I am now homing in on the new Line 6 Pod HD. It does indeed have a 48 second loop facility, As I write, I don't think it has an external effects loop though. I will bear in mind your advice.

Kind regards
Roger
dyker124

Postby davec » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:18 am

Hi Roger,

I hope I haven't confused you: the loop I'm talking about is nothing to do with timed recordings. It's more like the aux send/return on a mixer and can be allocated (in software) to a position before or after the amp simulation.

To the best of my knowledge, none of the "bean-shaped" PODs have this feature but it's on all of the rackmounts and some of the floorboards.

Regards
DaveC
davec

Full Real Name: David Coombes

Postby dyker124 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:19 am

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. It's ok, I'm not confused. I know exactly what you mean. I remember that some of the old valve amplifiers years ago had the 'send and return' sockets to include loop effects. I think that I didn't phrase my answer to you very well. I operate in the corner of my front room so I am very limited for space. The 'bean' suits me fine as I have no desire now or in the future to do any gigging or public performances (especially at 66 years old), so do not need any elaborate system or floor switches (except my volume pedal). My set up is for playing and recording only and I think from what I have read, that a 'Pod', a MagicStomp, an amplifier, and a recorder will fit the bill nicely. The results then being processed on the PC. Please comment if you feel that this will not be the case.

Kind regards
Roger
dyker124

Postby 51 Relic » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:33 pm

If space is an issue why not invest in a Fender G Dec system this is around the same price ? you then could have all your sounds and backing tracks all in one package just plug the Magi Stomp in the GDec download all your backing tracks and away you go . The Guitarist mag this month also has the new Yamaha system @ £199.00

Cheers
51 Relic

Postby dyker124 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:17 am

Hi 51 Relic,

Thank you very much for the information. They are certainly options. I will look into them.

Many thanks.

Kind regards
Roger
dyker124

Return to How To Get "That Sound"