The 'Vox' sound?

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

The 'Vox' sound?

Postby dyker124 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:38 pm

Hi All,

Back in the early sixties I was in a rock band. Like other bands of the time, we played all the usual popular stuff such as Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, Cliff and the Shadows etc.

Our equipment line up was; bass guitar - Linear 30w amp with 18" Goodmans speaker in large cabinet, rhythm guitar - Truevoice 25w combo, Lead - Vox AC30, Echo - Watkins Copycat.

Question:
The Vox AC30's tone as I remember was very dull. Also I have recently heard simulations of the Vox AC15 and AC30, both sounding much the same as I remember. What has always puzzled me, was the sound that Hank managed to get from his Vox. It was nothing like or nowhere near what I could acheive. The brightness, the punch as in 'The savage', 'The Frightened City', 'Man of Mystery', 'The Stranger' to name but a few. Years ago when on stage, I had to use an external treble booster in order to make my guitar heard over the bass, rhythm, and drums. Guitars used were Gibson and Fender.

Does anyone know as to what was hanks secret of getting that loud, punchy, throaty sound from the Vox?

Kind regards
Roger
dyker124

Full Real Name: Roger John Dyke

Re: The 'Vox' sound?

Postby Bluesnote » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:38 pm

My AC30 top boost was really trebley I found.(it was a mid/sixties model) When I turned the 'cut' knob full on it would rip your tshirt off :o
When turned back the amp gave a lovely warm sound.
What kind of guitar was played through it?

God why did I sell that amp??? It was the best sound I ever had :(
Bluesnote

Postby dyker124 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:20 pm

Hi Bluesnote,

Our Vox AC30 was purchased in about 1961 and had no top-boost. I remember that it had a 'warm' sound but definately not trebly. The guitar used was mainly a Gibson Les Paul Junior, but various other guitars were also tried with similar sound. Since most of the early hits (in above post) occurred in the period 1959 -1962 I wondered where the crispy barky came from on those early recordings?
dyker124

Postby Bojan » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:41 pm

dyker124 wrote:Hi Bluesnote,

Our Vox AC30 was purchased in about 1961 and had no top-boost. I remember that it had a 'warm' sound but definately not trebly. The guitar used was mainly a Gibson Les Paul Junior, but various other guitars were also tried with similar sound. Since most of the early hits (in above post) occurred in the period 1959 -1962 I wondered where the crispy barky came from on those early recordings?

I would say that it came from the Strat ! :roll:
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby des mcneill » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:56 am

dyker124 wrote:Hi Bluesnote,

The "normal" AC30 of that period was short on treble having lost the EF86 circuit hence the introduction of the "treble" amp and subsequently the "top boost" to correct the problem. The biggest problem was with the Super Twin with sealed speaker cabinet.
I suspect Abbey road also had a hand in the finished sound.
Des.
des mcneill

Full Real Name: des mcneill

Postby dyker124 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:07 am

Thanks for your replies.

I get a little confused as I have recently played my 1979 US Strat and my Squier CV through an emulated AC15 and AC30. I was not inspired by the treble at all. Which was in line with my memory of the AC30 we had in the early sixties. I agree that the AC30 with top boost is a very trebley machine.

I cast my mind back to the turn of the sixties. After 'Move It' I became a firm fan of The Shadows (or the Drifters to start with), and as I was already learning the guitar was very keen to learn their numbers. From between about 1959 and 1962 I saw them live 3 or 4 times. I can remember comenting to others how exactly like their records they sounded (very punchy with lots of bite), with Hank very clearly heard over the rest of the band.

I can only think that a) the Strat helped the sound, and b) that Hank may have had some footpedal treble booster or other the enhance the bitey sound. I also believe that the Abbey Road Studio's were very instrumental in The Shadows recorded sound. Interesting......
dyker124

Postby Tab » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:29 am

Roger,

If you go into 'Sound Files' and look up 'That Sound' Videos 1,2 & 3 posted by the TVS guys, all will be explained. Also, check out the sound files posted by Gary Taylor and the others on the TVS website.
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Postby dyker124 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:43 pm

Thanks Terry,

I'll have a look at that.
dyker124

Postby Graylion » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:25 am

I remember playing at a "Battle of the Bands" gig in Southampton (The Banister Ballroom I think it was) around 1964 and used a borrowed AC30 on stage becase there wasn't room to get everyone's own kit on stage at the same time. It was VERY harsh and trebly and I didn't like it a bit! I never had time to experiment with settings - in those days and at that gig there were no 'sound checks'. My only guitar was the Burns Vibra Artiste and my own amp was the Bird 4/25 (2 x EL34s pushing 25 watts through a 15" Goodman speaker) and I'd never had more than a brief go at using any other amps. I guess the Vox would sound trebly compared with the 15" Goodman but I've no idea what age or precise model it was - only that it was way above my pay scale, as they say! :shock:

I have to say that it left me with no desire to buy a Vox, even in later years when I might have been able to afford it. I continued with the Bird amp through the 1970s. The next amp I used for serious gigging in the late 1980s was a Peavy Bandit - the first series - which was/is also harsh and a totally different beast to my valve amps. I still have it, along with all my other amps as I never throw anything away! Ask my wife!
Cheers, Lionel
Graylion

Postby des mcneill » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:26 pm

Hi Lionel,
The vibra Artist had a lot more treble than a Fender and if you per chance had plugged into a "treble" AC30 that would explain your problem. The treble AC30 was well named, - I still have one,and it is sharp even in the normal channel. I also still have an Artist and would not consider them a match !

Des.
des mcneill

Full Real Name: des mcneill

Next

Return to How To Get "That Sound"