Very inexpensive British made IRONSTONE pickups demo

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Very inexpensive British made IRONSTONE pickups demo

Postby dave robinson » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:00 am

I don't know if anyone is still considering changing pickups around these parts, heaven knows we've had a very large choice over the past few years but I came across these Ironstone Vintage Strat Pickups on Ebay a couple of months ago at the cost of £26-99 and just had to give them a try. They are alnico magnets with what look like plastic bobbins and the slugs are level rather than staggered. No bar magnet beneath the pickup, these are the real deal.
I first of all tested them on my Jap Premium Strat which I know sounds good with other pickups that we've tested and they were terrific, the chime, quack and great hollow tones that we love was all there to behold.
Satisfied with what I had heard I then fitted them to the cheapest Strat that I own, a £99.00 jobbie that I bought in a little music shop in Meadowhall - it's a 'Johnson' and we liked the colour. It has a body made from MDF and the cheapest hardware you can imagine, but I stuck my Brason neck on it for comfort of playing and added these Ironstone pickups. The body and pickups cost around £60.00 in total . . . . . have a listen and let's see if you agree that it compares with the more expensive stuff that we buy.

With me in the band the band are - Lewis Fountain on bass, Daniel Martin on drums, Adrian Fountain on rhythm.
The video of MAN OF MYSTERY and THE FRIGHTENED CITY recorded at North Notts Shadows Club by Dave from the Malvern Club.

Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Re: Very inexpensive British made IRONSTONE pickups demo

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:23 am

Hi Dave
I think it sounds ok on the video as most videos do. I would have liked to hear it live but I have no wheels at the moment, in for repair after hitting my gatepost on my drive!!!.
What is the white unit on top of the amp? Is it a piggy back top and cab?
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby dave robinson » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:36 am

Thanks Geoff, think The Frightened City gives the best results on this video, I can clearly hear a quality in there that is so desirable to many of us.

The white gear belongs to Peter Creasey, it's my old Pinnacle with a matching box containing a Quad GT if I'm not mistaken. I played through Terry Devon's ESE Echomatic & AC30, same as my own.
:)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby cockroach » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:12 pm

Robbo,

that was excellent! All the guys caught it, and it's pretty bloody close to the record..!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby John Haldane » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:35 pm

They sound the real deal, might have to invest in a set.
John H
John Haldane

Postby Hank2k » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:53 pm

Hank2k

Postby keithmantle » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:51 pm

Spot on sound/tone
keithmantle

Full Real Name: keith george mantle

Postby dave robinson » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:17 pm

I wasn't showing these pickups off to be better than our Fender ones, well not mine anyway, but they are sounding good and 'right' and are excellent replacements for the sub-standard ceramic bar magnet types that appear on Squier and other cheaper brands.
I just wanted to show that they were capable of doing the business and I have gigged that guitar with those pickups for the past two weeks, without once wishing I was playing my 'real' Strat instead. At £26.99 they are an excellent inexpensive upgrade and my intention was to save people a lot of money who were perhaps considering pickups at ten times the price. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby I'm Frettin » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:45 pm

Hi Dave
Thanks for posting about these pups, I have just installed a set of 'Gold Grade' to my cheap 'Encore" left hand guitar and the difference in tone is absolutely amazing. As a pensioner the money doesn't stretch beyond the lower end of the market but these really are fantastic value for money.

Thanks again for bringing them to our attention.

Regards
'H'
I'm Frettin

Full Real Name: Harold Gibling

Postby dave robinson » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:40 pm

I'm Frettin wrote:Hi Dave
Thanks for posting about these pups, I have just installed a set of 'Gold Grade' to my cheap 'Encore" left hand guitar and the difference in tone is absolutely amazing. As a pensioner the money doesn't stretch beyond the lower end of the market but these really are fantastic value for money.

Thanks again for bringing them to our attention.

Regards
'H'

It is instances such as this that makes it all worthwhile - thanks for letting me know and enjoy your music. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Next

Return to How To Get "That Sound"