Spring is nearly here.

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Spring is nearly here.

Postby eugene » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:09 am

Hi There !

I was wondering which pickup posision Hank used on "Spring is nearly here".
http://youtu.be/xw5AW6CGFqU

I remember Hank used neck position on that tune with Burns in Japan.

What about with Fender Stratcaster?

That tune is very very popular in Japan.

I'm so sorry for my poor English.

Sincerly yours.

eugene
eugene

Full Real Name: yuji yamaguchi

Re: Spring is nearly here.

Postby roger bayliss » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:33 pm

I learnt it recently Eugene and it sounds right on the neck PU tp my ears
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby Martyn » Fri May 04, 2012 12:10 am

One of my favourites and I'm convinced the original was recorded using the middle pickup, which is the one I've always used on my various versions of it. I do have that pickup's tone control turned down slightly to mellow it a bit more and this gets me as close as possible to Hank's original recording. I also strike the strings above the neck pickup's position to be even more accurate (in my opinion). Hank may well have used the neck pickup in later stage performances but I find that sound to be too rounded and noticed on Charlie Hall's patch lists, he indicates this same middle pickup as well. As I say, this is if you wish to emulate the original recording, rather than any later versions.

Cheers,
Martyn
Martyn

Full Real Name: Martyn Welch

Postby franz » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:30 am

Hi, Eugene,

I haven't visited the site for ages and so this is very late (and will probably get moderated out!). Deciding which p/u was used on early Shads records can be quite a challenge, at least for me over the years. One way of doing it ,I find, is to fasten on one or two individual notes in the tune and for me the dead giveaway in Spring is nearly here is the G played on the tenth fret about halfway through the verse. That can only be to my ears the neck pickup and is achieved with the cut on the amp (in my case an original AC30 modified by an AC15 add on courtesy of Roger Allcock) set to full, the guitar tone control set to full treble. That sound cannot be achieved with the middle p/u. The guitar is also put through a Gemini 3.
The acid test is to listen to other recordings on the middle p/u such as Sleepwalk and the treble strings on Blue Star and Find me a Golden Street. The treble strings on Spring is nearly here sound nothing like the middle pickup sound, which has more bite. The best comparison is prehaps Peace Pipe which Charlie agrees is on the neck.

Regards,

Franz
franz

Full Real Name: nigel duckworth

Postby abstamaria » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:43 am

"Spring's" tone has always beem a puzzle to me, so I will try the two suggestions here.

Yes, I was told by several Japanese friend that "Spring" is very popular in Japan, which is solid Ventures country. The Japanese play it every spring!

Eugene, I hope the the tsunami the otherv year and the problems with Fukushima haven't affected you or your family directly. Are there Shadows clubs in Japan?

Best regards,

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Return to How To Get "That Sound"