working with Backing tracks.

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: working with Backing tracks.

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:19 pm

I am heartened that this topic has come up again after three years. It shows that this is a living site with newly joining members who are very welcome. I think that's great news for the music we all love.

Iian
Iain Purdon
site organiser
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Shadow Steve » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:31 pm

I am back, just had a look at my Amp (Marshall MG15fx ???) given to me by a friend to replace my buzzy 10W amp that came with my newbie guitar kit and it has a line input socket so I guess I can rig a lead up from my iphone/mp3 player or laptop and play the BT through the amp.
As noelford says I have to speed up and/or slow down when playing to try to match the BT as the aim it to get a draw and not to win the horse race - no point in one member of the band going home early in the middle of a concert!
I anit easy but its good fun trying.
Last edited by Shadow Steve on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow Steve

Postby noelford » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:46 pm

Steve, you might find is useful (and good fun) to go along to one of the many Shadows/Guitar Clubs dotted around the country. You don't say where you live but it might well be there is a club within striking distance.

Cheers

Noel
Last edited by noelford on Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
noelford

Postby Shadow Steve » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:26 am

I go to the Surrey club in Hershan, that is where I got the bug for guitars back in Nov last year, this Friday I hope to have a go at Apache which I can sort of play.
My guitar is a cheapo set off ebay but it sounds good (to me anyways) running through my friends amp and delay.
Wish me luck
Shadow Steve

Postby noelford » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:58 am

Ah, you're already on the right...er... track, then. Don't worry about luck, all you need is the enthusiasm!
noelford

Postby Shadow Steve » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:00 am

I did it, got to play Apache twice tonight with the club band and enjoyed every second of it, not perfect though as I forgot to palm mute on the second time round.
Glad its over and now as I have a lot of revision to work on before next month
S
Shadow Steve

Postby Tab » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:32 am

Well done, Steve.

You did well - I was there!

It takes a lot of courage to get up in front of people when you are just starting out and the 'Hersham' spotlight can be a little intimidating - even the best make mistakes.

Keep it up and we look forward to hearing you again next time.

Kind regards
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Postby Shadow Steve » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:09 pm

Hi Tab/Terry, many thanks for your kind words.
At home in front of the computer, sitting down, with no video cameras or mikes and no other people around I can play slow but perfectly - I feel like I am the guitar god that we all dream of.
Then I have to learn to play standing up, not looking at my fingers (which never leave the end of my hands), not looking at the strings (which also stay in the same place), it is a whole different picture.
Mick (brother in law) who played just after me has been playing since he was 15 and is also a guitar god, however as you say in front of a crowd, many who are neighbours of mine, we were both very nervous and glad it was over.
He is also hooked on the club and looking forward to next time, just like I was the first time back in Nov last year.
I now have a challenge to learn another tune before next month, so Dance on or The Breeze and I tabs will be on the computer screen for me to murder next month.
Please come over and say hello so I can put a face to a screenname
Shadow Steve

Postby Shadow Steve » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:31 pm

On the strength of playing Live last Friday I have bought a new toy to aid my learning, its a NUX PG-1
It has a switch for echo, delay and reverb,
A switch for chorus, flanger and tremolo,
A switch for clean, blues and rock,
Built in metronome,
Guitar tuner,
Best of all I can plug in a set of headphones and also plug in my iphone with the backings on so i can wander aroung the house and garden playing without disturbing anyone with my infernal din.

Still getting used to it but as an unplugged learner amp that i can use silently its Not a bad deal for £30
Shadow Steve

Previous

Return to How To Get "That Sound"