Echoes for The Breeze and I...(My version)

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Echoes for The Breeze and I...(My version)

Postby Strummer » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:27 am

I have been experimenting with different echoes etc and use a Laptop with Piet's downloaded Echoes eTap 2 PLUS I own an Alesis Quadraverb GT fitted out with EFTP patches by Charlie Hall. All this was plugged into my VOX AC30 CC2. Last weekend I was going through some numbers and was "fiddling" with the Quad and flicked it to No 9 Echo. I played "The Breeze and I" (Not as a copy of HBM, but, my version.) Well, what a result that turned out to be. Using the Tremelo in unison with the Echo and my Burns Marvin I got sounds that I was just astounded with. I even had "listeners" in the other room who had turned off the music they were listening to just to hear me play and they were so ecstatic it was embarrassing. I also used that echo for "Ghost Riders in the Sky" Again my version. Great, great echo. Gave me that effect that those numbers, in my opinion, deserved.

Just thought I would share that with you all. I am not at all being big headed here, just surprised, pleasantly.

Stay well.

Arthur(Strummer)
Strummer

Re: Echoes for The Breeze and I...(My version)

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:45 pm

Not being au fait with the Quad, which Shads piece is no 9 supposed to be for?
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby Strummer » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:59 pm

D'you know I haven't looked? Now you have asked the question I will, and, I will get back to you to let you know.

It's great for the really echoey sound. I was just "twiddling" and found I liked it and just played it to that echo, brilliant IMO!
Strummer

Postby Strummer » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:34 pm

Re-looked at it and there is no "definition/description" of that particular selection. So, lucky i found it really. Suits tunes such as (1) The Breeze and I (2) My Prayer (3) Ghost Riders In The Sky. I am going to try "I Dreamed there was no war" by Joe Walsh of The Eagles hopefully it will sound good with that echo? Well, I'll certainly find out. Lol!
Strummer

Postby I'm Frettin » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:57 pm

Hi Arthur,

I have a Zoom G2.1Nu programmed with Charlie Hall's patches, they are numbered A0-A9, B0-B9 and C0-C9. That gives me 30 patches. Charlie also proveded me with a list of pick-up settings for various Shadows numbers along with the recomended patch number. This list show patch A9 for "The Breeze and I" using the neck pick up. I don't know if my patch numbers match the numbers on your Quad and not sure if this info is any use to you, but I thought any info is better than none.

Regards

'H'
I'm Frettin

Full Real Name: Harold Gibling

Postby Strummer » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:10 pm

Hi "H"

Thanks for that, not sure either. I must apologise for not getting back to you sooner only I haven't been on here for a few weeks due to being so busy with work.

I was (as I often do these days?) experimenting with different echoes. I 'found' number 9 and it sort of 'clicked' in my brain that it would suit the tunes I mentioned, it most certainly does. I'm now going to find an echo that suits the tune "Temptation"...a sort of powerful Spanish type tune.

I have given up trying to copy Hank, and am doing my own thing now. So far it seems to be working. As my tutor said, "obtain your own style and be your own musician!" I guess as I use and love echoes I will still be 'sort of hank-ish?' Lol!

Oh, I nearly forgot? I use the "middle" position on my five way switch and I was using my Burns Apache with the volume setting at 8.5 to 9.5 and the Tone pots at 10 each. On top of this I have been playing it through a VOX AD30 VT (pre-amp) and NOT my VOX AC30 CC2 (all valve). Comes out with quite stunning effect. I'll try sometime to see if I can do it on YuoTube and put it on here for you to listen to if you like?
Strummer

Postby I'm Frettin » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:58 pm

Hi Arthur,

Yes it would be great to hear you play, I don't get on here as much as I should but I'll try to remember to look more often.
I think its a good idea to try for your own sound as its very difficult to copy Hank. I'm progressing slowly but a bit shy to post anything for general listening, it takes me ages to get a decent recording I still make too many mistakes.
Good to hear from you again and look forward to hearing a sound file from you.
Take care my friend
'H'
I'm Frettin

Full Real Name: Harold Gibling

Postby Strummer » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:31 pm

Hi Harold

Well, I am so busy at work that I really have not had the time to further anything recording wise. I am going to look at a USA Custom Shop fiesta red with gold hardware Stratocaster Friday. It is up for sale at a good price, I think. Most are at around £1999 up to about £2600...this on is USED in good condition and up for £1400.

So, I HAVE to go see it and try don't I? Lol!

Soon as I can find some time I will do a YouTube thingy..

Regards

Arthur
Strummer

Return to How To Get "That Sound"