Daddy O pickup's by Axes r Us

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Daddy O pickup's by Axes r Us

Postby roger bayliss » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:22 pm

Just installed a set of these budget pickups, which cost £37 the set. Cloth covered wiring and all round look well made. The winding resistance is around 5.6 kOhms and they compare favourably with my 57/62 PUs I had on the guitar. I particulary like the middle and the neck PU's, but feel the bridge is a bit on thin sounding side, but not bad. They have gone on a new scratchplate so I keep my OEM scratchplate for my 57/62 Strat.

I also installed a set of Ironside Gold last week and liked them too, but was not too keen on the middle PU on that set and also noticed I needed the volume up a full notch higher on the Ironsides, but the Daddy O's were on a par with my 57/62's on volume and output.

I have ordered a Fat 50's bridge which I think will sort the bridge sound on the Daddy O's more to my taste.

So I can recommend the Daddy o's particulary in neck and mid and you can buy them singles as well and are a great PU and great replacement for 57/62s / They do not have the large chamfer on the poles that the 57/62s have. So at £37 they are a great buy against the £100 typical for the Fender 57/62s.

I am aware of a few other people who have used the Daddy o's and like them for our Shadows sound.

As for the Ironside Golds they are a very good pickup with a great Shadows sound just as Robbo has shown us. I was just a little bothered about the reduced output as against the others and not sure about the Middle PU . I wondered if the reduced output may have been down to the thickness of the wire used to connect the PU's as on the Ironstone it was very thin compared to the Daddy O's with cloth covered wire.

Anyway another budget set that does the sound HTH !
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Re: Daddy O pickup's by Axes r Us

Postby roger bayliss » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:40 pm

Forgot to say the middle PU on the Daddy o's is not RWRP which is same spec as 57/62 PU's

and

#the G pole is down ! just like 34346 !

:D
roger bayliss

Re: Daddy O pickup's by Axes r Us

Postby roger bayliss » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:59 am

Played them last night at our club and they sounded great even the bridge. A couple of others tried my guitar and liked the sound so that was a good test with a thumbs up from others. I could also hear it for myself when the others played and am happy to say Daddy O's are a great PU for Shadows sounds.
roger bayliss

Return to How To Get "That Sound"