Losing 'that sound' at volume. . . .

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Losing 'that sound' at volume. . . .

Postby me-and-my-shadow » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:47 pm

Thanks Cockroach & Ian... I'll be giving this a try tomorrow when I am free to crank up the volume and experiment a little.
I could also try miking up as suggested earlier but that very much relies on other folks equipment, alas I only have the basics which until now have sufficed. J
me-and-my-shadow

Full Real Name: John cauley

Postby me-and-my-shadow » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:27 pm

Darn ! no efx loop on a Roland cube 60 back to the drawing board.

Very interesting article through the link from Ian...thanks for that. J.
me-and-my-shadow

Postby cockroach » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:47 am

John

You could always run the Boss through an acoustic guitar amp or small PA setup.

It is possible that running the Boss straight into the Roland Cube is colouring and affecting the sound because of the effect of the Cube's pre-amp which being a guitar amp will have been designed to work with the low passive signal of magnetic guitar pickups and boosts frequencies as such.

An acoustic guitar amp or PA amp/mixer and wide range speaker (with horn plus driver) is set up to give a clean flat response for vocal mics and acoustic instruments etc.

These units usually have effects loops or a gain control on the inputs to adjust input levels. If using the Boss unit straight in , you need to adjust the Boss output and the PA input to avoid overloading and unwanted distortion etc(the Boss unit has a pre-amp which boosts its output remember, which a guitar does not unless it is an active model with a battery and pre-amp.)

OK it means using another amp to be able to use the Boss as your tone creating amp device, but it may be worth a try.
It may be possible to run the Boss unit straight into a small PA power amp and speaker also.
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby buckshot » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:33 pm

John,
I have just gone thru this exercise my self. '67 AC30TB and Boss ME70. OK what I tried and got different results were to use 2 leads from :D the normal channel on the Amp using both normal chanells from L & R from the 70.
Then I ran a lead from the 70 to the mixer and front house speakers. The sound out front is great. Hope this helps.
Tom, The Shadowmen.
Cheers
buckshot

Postby me-and-my-shadow » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:19 am

The only solution I have finally come up with,and its not by any means the perfect solution, is to increase compression a couple of notches. This at least tempers the initial treble attack without unduly altering the essential tone quality. J.
me-and-my-shadow

Postby Mike Honey » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:37 am

Having just bought a vox tonelab and programmed the sounds i wanted -in my studio, I hired our local 'salle de fetes' ( large hall with stage) last night . Didnt cost anything but it allowed me to re-programme the sounds at higher volume. Found it was just a case of boosting certain frequencies and decreasing others. Much happier now

mike
Mike Honey

Postby shadowtonio » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:45 pm

hello john,
:)
the boss me-70 is not the right thing for shadows sound,,,,,,,,,the cube also,,, i would not buy that amp.
normally you will have a vox ac30, but you can buy a vox tonelab,,,,,,,,,,
i myself am using meazzi amps and the magic stomp,,,,,,,,,just mail me if you like

regards, tonio :D
shadowtonio

Full Real Name: Tonio Kooijman

Previous

Return to How To Get "That Sound"