Bridge Pickup--Mellow Sound--How ??

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Bridge Pickup--Mellow Sound--How ??

Postby Tomlinson » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:07 pm

Several of the Best "Hank soundalikes" seem to use the Bridge Pickup, But A very mellow,warm sound,similar to the Middle Pup, comes out.
Anybody know how they do this ?

Ian
Tomlinson

Re: Bridge Pickup--Mellow Sound--How ??

Postby roger bayliss » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:57 pm

It is probably best acheived by cutting the trebles and boosting the upper mids at the recording desk.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby Hank2k » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:25 pm

Probably with the bridge tone control taking off the top treble
Hank2k

Postby noelford » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:48 pm

I find the best way to get a mellow sound, without messing around, is the simple way - use the neck PU. I use this for several Shads tunes.
noelford

Postby RogerCook » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:54 pm

A simple wiring mod (an extra wire link on the selector switch) will make the tone control work on the bridge pickup. Also a slight backing off on the volume control with remove some of the highs. Heavy strings may contribute to a "fuller" tone. Picking in the area at the end of the fretboard over the neck pickup may help too.
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby Tomlinson » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:46 pm

Hi,
Thanks for your Helpfull suggestions.
The Chap who prompted my query is "Suaragitar" Robbie Suara--If youv'e never seen and heard him play Take a look at his Youtube Videos, I think you'll like them.

Ian (Tommo Little Lever)
Tomlinson

Postby bob t » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:43 pm

Could also be the push-pull mod which brings in the Neck pick-up together with the Bridge pick-up as used by Hank among others
bob t

Full Real Name: Robert Timmins

Postby Stratpicker » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:47 pm

bob t wrote:Could also be the push-pull mod which brings in the Neck pick-up together with the Bridge pick-up as used by Hank among others

This is a good mod. I have it on my Brason Strat. Care is needed though as it can sound quite "Burnsey" and that's never a good thing. Lol !
Definitely have the Bridge tone control mod done at the same time.
For now, if recording, set up Volume on '10' and record with it on 8. Nips the high edge off.
Ian
Stratpicker

Full Real Name: Ian Plant

Postby Rjanuarsa » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:02 am

Tomlinson wrote:Hi,
Thanks for your Helpfull suggestions.
The Chap who prompted my query is "Suaragitar" Robbie Suara--If youv'e never seen and heard him play Take a look at his Youtube Videos, I think you'll like them.

Ian (Tommo Little Lever)

Hi Ian,

Thanks for watching my videos. Very glad that enjoyed them.

In relation to the subject of getting "mellow" sound as you described it on Bridge pick up, for me I use an Equaliser. Basically you don't want frequency above 8k, boost frequencies around 400hz-500hz will give you a more round or fatter sound. and less treble on your amp.

Secondly, the pickups I used on the videos are Sliders pickups, naturally have sweeter sound and less sharp as compare to Fender CS'54 (I have these on my other Strat, so I am able to compare them side by side).

My two cents.

NB: and oh I think the circuit from the Long Tom also contribute to make the overall sound warmer. I am 100% sure though.

Regards,

Robby
Rjanuarsa

Full Real Name: Robby Januarsa

Return to How To Get "That Sound"