Hank`s early "boutique sound" .... "that sound"!

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Hank`s early "boutique sound" .... "that sound"!

Postby roger bayliss » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:07 pm

I went ahead and bought the WMD Parametric EQ as above post. I have to say I think it does enhance the guitar sound and improves the low end bark for instance. It works differently to the usual Graphic EQ and gives different results. I had a quick trial with it the other day and found some good settings for some of the early tunes but did not check it against the record sound. It definitely rolls the bass end off nice just using the bass section with the others off , then roll off the top with the treble side and adjust the mids and you get a great sound.

This is the type of EQ used in the studio in a pedal format. The only thing to be mindful of is each tune has its own EQ setup so no one setup on these is going to get the recorded sound, but it defo enhances the sound and I like what I am hearing. It would probable be best used along with the Graphic EQ to get better overall results.

The cheapest para EQ I have seen are made by Artec (see their website) they are single Para eq units at around £28 you could use 2 or 3 of those and get change from £90 whereas the next cheapest and around £150. I have use the Artec on its own and rolled the bottom end off and still got a decent sound.

I play through a Vox AC30 so I get a good sound anyway but these EQs enhance the Vox and can be used to make any amp sound more Voxy by tweaking midranges and cutting low end. A great tone shaper ! Put it before the echo after guitar.

:D
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Re: Hank`s early "boutique sound" .... "that sound"!

Postby shadowtonio » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:24 pm

hello, :D

Interesting duscussion, to get that sound you need a equalizer to get more mid in your sound.
I am using the Boss Ge-10, one of the best i think, its a real oldie ;)
Ronnie Gustaffson is using one ,,,,,connect to his Vox longtom valve echo.
see his video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5cOLV_fci4
-----------------------------------------------------------
Roger Bayliss:
I like your sunglasses :) very nice
I prefer my guitar put in first into the echo (Etap-magic stomp etc.) then into the GE-10 and then into my Meazzi amp
(or a vox ac15/30 amp)
-----------------------------------------------------------
cheers, tonio 8-)
shadowtonio

Full Real Name: Tonio Kooijman

Previous

Return to How To Get "That Sound"