Guitar Recording Frequencies ?

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Guitar Recording Frequencies ?

Postby roger bayliss » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:29 pm

I have been reading up on recording articles trying to determine the frequencies often adjusted to get a great guitar sound when recording.

It would seem many articles tend to suggest a cut around 2-4 Khz maybe -3 Db and a cut in the 800Hz - 1KHz with para EQ. They suggest anything under 100Hz be completely rolled off with a High pass filter (leaving space for bass and drum in recording notably) .

Any loss in low end warmth due to cutting the bass end can be improved by a slight boost around 240Hz area with a para EQ used but not too much as it adds some mud to the sound. Upper end sparkle and presence can then be added as needed around 5Khz and 8Khz.

It would seem that the 2-4 KHz area is often cut for guitars when vocals need to shine through as well and is a common area to cut the vocals whilst boosting the 3Khz centre a touch for bringing back clarity after cutting.

Mid range contains a lot of 'Honk' so a para EQ is often deployed to cut between 400 - 800Hz as well sometimes.

It is always best to cut frequencies than to boost them the experts seem to say and a change in one area affects the sound in other areas which might need assessment. Often cuts and boosts of 2-3 db are all that is required they suggest.

I know people who record on here have their own ideas. I have definitely heard some say cut everything above 8KHz and cutting around 3Khz and 800Hz with bass rolled off , so maybe the articles I have read fit in with how to get a good Shadows guitar sound ?

Any thoughts from any of you ?
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Re: Guitar Recording Frequencies ?

Postby Twang46 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:58 pm

So................what ya saying Roger is "cut the treble a bit" & "do without the bass" :roll:

Did they really go to all those lengths in the late 50's early 60's in the studio's of the time ?

Most of the early records I remember where quite primitive regarding "mixing" with the early stereo ones in particular tending to be "hard left/right" with vocals in the middle
Lp's tended to be better produced (but not always) & in general terms I seem to remember the US albums of the time having a more complex production/sound.

Would be nice if there was a plug in called say, "1961 instrumental" that had all this stuff ready done for all of us "lazy" sods who just want to play about with guitars & stuff ;)

Dick
Twang46

Full Real Name: Dick Cruddas

Re: Guitar Recording Frequencies ?

Postby roger bayliss » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:34 am

So................what ya saying Roger is "cut the treble a bit" & "do without the bass"

Sort of Dick, but if it was that easy we would all have the sound and fact is we do not, so there is more to it than that.

Did they really go to all those lengths in the late 50's early 60's in the studio's of the time ?

Well Abbey Rd certainly had a lot of compressors , limiters , breakout boxes for frequency shaping and so on so they must have gone to some lengths.

;)
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Return to How To Get "That Sound"