Picking Position

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Picking Position

Postby Hank2k » Thu May 16, 2013 9:42 pm

Hi All

Sorry if this has been posted before, it may be common knowledge hence why i cannot find a discussion on it, i normally play guitar and pick about halfway between neck and middle pickup, obvioulsy moving toward the bridge the sound is more trebley and has less sustain on the string, this has quite a bearing on the sound i assume, when i pick around the middle pickup and just behind it i find the sound of apache and the early hits unplugged, any thought on this? where does everyone else pick?
Hank2k

Re: Picking Position

Postby Poggle » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:10 pm

Hi, as a newbie to playing "properly" if I may put it that way, I found Apache sounded more like the real thing when played just in front of the bridge or even just behind the middle like you said.
Poggle

Postby roger bayliss » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:26 pm

Generally the picking position is just before the neck PU for a lot of the tunes but back towards the middle on some of the earlier stuff and depending on you PU voicing. Most seem to pick somewhere between the neck and middle though but use your ears and find the tone you are after. Amp settings gear etc will affect this so depends on a lot of factors ... even pick choice !
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby Poggle » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:08 pm

roger bayliss wrote:Generally the picking position is just before the neck PU for a lot of the tunes but back towards the middle on some of the earlier stuff and depending on you PU voicing. Most seem to pick somewhere between the neck and middle though but use your ears and find the tone you are after. Amp settings gear etc will affect this so depends on a lot of factors ... even pick choice !

I am using a heavy duty one on the electric guitar right now. I can "dig "in better with it.

John
Poggle

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:39 pm

Use a thick pick about halfway between neck and middle pups for the classic Apache, etc, sound. For the 'harder' sound as in Frightened City, FBI etc, move closer to the bridge. And of course, all the 'muted' ones need to be near the bridge because that's where you have to rest your hand on the strings!
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Return to How To Get "That Sound"