Help!! Ghost Riders....

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Help!! Ghost Riders....

Postby Strummer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:23 pm

Can anyone tell me what guitar Hank used on this track please? I cannot get the sound right and thought that it may have been recorded on a Burns Marvin rather than a Fender Strat?

Also, what echo would be best if what done on an Alesis Quadraverb GT fitted with EFTP, (what number?)

Thanks guys.

Strummer
Strummer

Re: Help!! Ghost Riders....

Postby alanbakewell » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:44 pm

I'm sure Hank used a Stratocaster for this. I use number 23 on my RFX 2000 which sounds O. K. To me. I've no idea what that translates to on your machine. Hope this helps a bit.
Cheers, Alan.
To know and have known the love of a little dog is a truly wonderful thing.
alanbakewell

Full Real Name: Alan Bakewell

Postby alanbakewell » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:21 pm

Just had a chance to look at the settings. It's actually 24.

This is the setting for both Heartbeat and Sacha.

So whatever your list says for Sacha and Heartbeat, try that.

Cheers, Alan.

p.s. I'll try 24 instead of 23 and see if my ears can distinguish. :-)
alanbakewell

Postby Strummer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:51 pm

Thanks a mill Alan, I will try on my Quadraverb when i get home tonight. I'll let you know if you like?

Strummer
Strummer

Postby alanbakewell » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:57 pm

Yes please Arthur, let me know.

Cheers, Alan.
alanbakewell

Postby Strummer » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:27 pm

HI Alan,

Not sure to be honest, but.....it sounded pretty good to me. :roll:
Strummer

Postby jgoatcher » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:48 pm

hi Arthur, an interesting question. Alan is right , itwas certainly a strat, remember it was recorded 1979/80 by which time Hank was definitely back on Fenders. Bearing in mind the date of recording the echo machine used was probably either a Binson EC3 or a Roland 201. The echo itself is quite short with a touch of reverb. I have a Q20 with EFTP ( 175 patches) but curiously Charlie does not appear to have included any echos from either of the machines just mentioned. However he has included quite a lot for the Roland 301 which was pretty similar. I am not familiar with the Quad GT and dont how many patches you have - is it 75?, but Iam sure there must be some for the 301, so I suggest you find one with a fairly short echo. On my Q20 its 41 - 44 which are the most suitable.
By the way have you noticed that on the record its played in the key of Bb minor rather than A minor as on most backing tracks. I wonder if they used a capo at the first fret or did they tune up their guitars? I cant believe they would have played in Bb minor!!
Hope this is some help - but at the end of the day, just trust your ears!
regards
John
jgoatcher

Postby bob t » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:27 am

Regarding the key it was recorded in I am sure I read somewhere that it was speeded up after recording as happened a lot around that time. I think it was something to do with giving it a more disco feel especially for the single. the album track is different but not sure if that was speeded up or not.

Bob T :? :?
bob t

Full Real Name: Robert Timmins

Postby RogerCook » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:54 pm

A lot of tunes from the 60s seem to be in "odd" keys often a fraction of a semitone up or down from what we now accept as A 440Hz concert pitch. I have never been sure whether this was down to variations in tape speed at the recording and/or mixing stage or whether perhaps the keyboard in the studio was a fraction sharp or flat of standard and all the instruments tuned to that.

Roger
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby Strummer » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:56 am

Thanks guys.

All I know is that it is virtually impossible to be "exactly" the same as the recordings. i also thin k the Abbey Road studios had a lot to do with 'That Sound' as much as Hank and the boys.

However, for the record (no, not vinyl etc, Lol!) number 23/24 on the Alesis Quadraverb GT sounds really good and I class it as 'my version, not a Shads copy', turns out pretty good indeed as it happens.

Strummer/Arthur
Strummer

Return to How To Get "That Sound"