Ipad Echo pad Now with sound examples

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Ipad Echo pad Now with sound examples

Postby jase » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:43 pm

Can you pm me your email address and I will send you a couple of settings that you can open from email in echopad.One is Chris' s Apache settings and the other works fairly well for most tunes when another delay is added from another app.
jase

Full Real Name: jason hill

Postby ecca » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:41 pm

Surely it should be possible to get the settings within echo pad itself, it has 4 additional heads.
What timings do you have ?
ecca

Postby jase » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:46 pm

I will post a couple of pictures for you shortly.
jase

Postby jase » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:10 pm

These are Chris's settings for Apache. First of all in the FX section you need to have multitap 1-2, multitap 3-4 and stereo delay all highlighted. You need to tap the white circle to set sum to mono and FX hold highlighted. On the delay time screen enter the settings shown from the link.

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss228/jase1967/image-2.jpg
jase

Postby jase » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:42 am

ecca wrote:Surely it should be possible to get the settings within echo pad itself, it has 4 additional heads.

The problem I found was that while Echopad can do a pretty good Apache echo I can't get close for other echoes. I think its due to how the feedback is added in echo pad, I think feedback is added to every head. To try and get round this I set the feedback on echo pad to 1 and used a delay from another App after echo pad in the chain to add feedback. Its not perfect but its given me one generic sound good enough for me to practice with.
jase

Postby ecca » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:58 pm

Now there's a requirement with regard to Meazzis isn't it - feedback from one head only, usually head 4.
Where's our genius man that can change things ?
He's doing a brilliant job so far.
A Meazzi setting could have fixed timings as well couldn't it for the 2 different Mk 1 and Mk 2 machines .
Tell him somebody.
ecca

Postby dave robinson » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:11 pm

Feedback is definitely from head 4.
The speed for Apache on a proper tape echo machine such as my ESE Echomatic is slow, with a massive increase in speed for Wonderful Land / Savage et al.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby HoldernessMedia » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:50 am

Hey guys, sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. My latest app Swoopster was just released a few days ago, it's been a very successful launch and I've been totally swamped the weeks leading up to and days after. Swoopster is a Flanger, Fuzz and Vibrato effect with Audiobus and Inter-app audio support if anyone is interested in that kind of effect. Definitely NOT great for achieving Shadows sounds though, haha! http://bit.ly/1aUtpBD

Jason sent me an email a few days ago to let me know there was some activity on this thread. I'm not sure why, but even though I have my board preferences set to notify me whenever there is a reply, I rarely ever receive the email notifications. I've checked my spam folder as well. Not sure what's going on there but for future reference if there's a few replies on here and I haven't responded in a long time, it means I don't know about it yet so somebody shoot me a PM and I'll get back as soon as I can.

Regarding Echo Pad and Meazzi emulation, at this point it will require a complete rebuild of the audio engine in order to provide independent feedback control for each head. When Jason first contacted me requesting the 4-6 head modification for Echo Pad I worked hard to provide as much of the functionality as I could without completely breaking the audio engine, so there were compromises I had to make to keep previous functionality working and compatible, and not completely change the entire app.
Basically, I added the functions Jason was asking for as best I could by building them "on top" of what I already had, which allowed me to maintain backwards compatibility.

I will be working on a 2.0 version of Echo Pad sometime in 2014 that will be a significant update. My plan at that point is to rebuild most of the audio engine in order to provide an even more flexible multi-tap delay, which would allow for independent feedback control for each head and a more refined user interface that I think you are going to love. :)
Once I begin the initial planning stages for the 2.0 version of Echo Pad I will definitely be coming here for input, and of course will be in contact with Jason via email. I will also need a few more beta testers at that point so once I get to that stage I'll ask whoever is interested in helping out.

In the meantime, I thought of something that might help to get closer to original Shadows settings using the current version of Echo Pad, but it requires thinking a bit backwards. Because the main heads 1 & 2 control feedback for all taps, and the other taps are cross-fed back into heads 1 & 2, try programming the main delay time with the value you would normally assign to Tap 4, or whichever particular head would have the feedback applied to it in the original Shadows setting. There will still be some "feedback bleed" from all heads, but it might be closer to the Meazzi. I'm not 100% sure this will help much as I haven't had time to properly test it, let me know if anyone gets better results with this approach.

For example, if this was the original Shadows setting:

Head 1 time: 121

Head 2 time: 238

Head 3 time: 331

Head 4 time: 424 - Feedback applied only to head 4

Head 5 time: 510

Head 6 time: 595

Then in Echo Pad, try manually entering the delay times like this:

Delay time: 424

R Chan time: 595

Tap 1 time: 121

Tap 2 time: 238

Tap 3 time: 331

Tap 4 time: 510

Set Echo Pad's feedback level low, somewhere between 2-20, and adjust the individual tap volume levels. Of course you'll also want to tap the white control ring to enable "Sum to Mono".

Hope that helps a little and I'll try to keep in touch as often as I can. I'm getting busier and busier now which is great, but it makes it harder to reply as quickly as before due to the amount of work on my plate. I am definitely still reachable though! As I said before if you need to send me a PM or email, contact me on Twitter or Facebook I'll always check them and get back as soon as possible. Thanks everyone!
HoldernessMedia

Postby ecca » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:44 am

Chris, brilliant work, this is getting close indeed.
Getting feedback and level control onto each head will be the final touch.
PSP 608 would be something to look at as an example although the screen on an iphone isn't big enough..........
Great work.
Ecca
Incidentally, the timings for the 2 machines in question, the Meazzi Echomatics I and II respectively are;
121,238,331,424 msec. ( Apache)
106,204,285,360 msec. (Wonderful Land )
ecca

Postby HoldernessMedia » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:18 am

ecca wrote:Chris, brilliant work, this is getting close indeed.
Getting feedback and level control onto each head will be the final touch.
PSP 608 would be something to look at as an example although the screen on an iphone isn't big enough..........
Great work.
Ecca
Incidentally, the timings for the 2 machines in question, the Meazzi Echomatics I and II respectively are;
121,238,331,424 msec. ( Apache)
106,204,285,360 msec. (Wonderful Land )

Nice, did someone fix the notification problem? That came through right away.

To clarify, are you saying that my suggestion in my last post is getting better results than before?
Also, thanks for the timings for the Meazzi units.
I've found mixed info on the timing and number of heads from various sites and forums.
HoldernessMedia

PreviousNext

Return to How To Get "That Sound"