The Breakers

An informal forum where you can draw attention to your use of a particular band name

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

The Breakers

Postby neil2726 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:58 pm

Formed in 1963 Tony Wade and the Breakers consisted of Alan campbell (Tony Wade) Roger Jones (Lead) Glyyn Nixon (Bass) Sid Swift (Drums) and myself on rhythm. We played local clubs and in 1965 Roger left to attend Uni, his place being taken by Keith Lawton, now residing in Perth, Australia! The band split in 1966, but all carried on in different bands, with the exception of Roger who continued his education. In June 2008 I had a call from Sid who asked if I would like to meet up with the old band for a drink and a chat. We all met a few nights later and as we all had some gear, we decided to meet the following week for a jam session. Glynn couldn't make it as he was going on holiday. Sadly he was taken ill on holiday and diagnosed with cancer and passed away in May 2009. Luckily Glynn had inspired his Brother In Law Gerald "Jezz" Steadman to play bass and he sat in with us. Although we never intended to gig we thought it would be a fitting tribute to Glyn if we did a concert in his memory. My son Richard joined us on guitar and keyboard and with the help of Glynn's family we hired a local village hall and had a sell out crowd, raising £1,400 for the McMillan Charity. A few other gigs have followed and proceeds donated to McMillan. Alan has since retired and left the band, not wanting to commit to rehearsals and regular gigs.
The band now concentates on 60s music!

Neil Sutton
Congleton
Cheshire
Attachments
The breakers.jpg
The Breakers -April 2010
(38.05 KiB) Downloaded 4084 times
breakers practice#.jpg
(64.02 KiB) Downloaded 4084 times
Tw & B 1965.jpg
Tony Wade and the Breakers 1964