Thank you for your Magicstomp patches!

Anything to do with eTap2HW

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Thank you for your Magicstomp patches!

Postby PFtwanger » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:38 pm

Hi Phil:

I appreciate your guidance. As you can tell, I've read your blog with complete fascination. Small disclosure: I worked in Silicon Valley from 1981 - 2001 and worked with engineers developing products, so reading your blog brought back some very pleasant memories. I was on the product management side, not engineering, but I'm aware of the possibilities created when existing software is ported to a different hardware platform, making additional code and functionality possible. Your enhancements to Piet's software are incredible and I'm grateful that you shared so much of the story.

As I said in a previous post, I've added my name to the Stanley mailing list, and I'm going to buy a Blue Nebula just on principle. I'm thoroughly enjoying the Magicstomp patches, I really enjoyed your blog for multiple reasons, and by God, I have to pay *somebody*! :D

--Paul
PFtwanger

Postby GuitarPhil » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:41 pm

Great to hear a bit of your story Paul and I'm glad you found the blog interesting :D

My main contribution to the Blue Nebula is in the firmware and the digital part of the hardware for the automation side so I claim no credit for Piet's excellent DSP code for the actual echo emulations. Steve Mitchell and Mick Taylor, in addition to their contributions to the analog parts of the hardware design, are also the men behind the programming of the 8 extra effects in the BN's second effects memory. Steve wrote the Binson programs and Mick did the delay, phaser and flanger, and the two of them worked together on the reverb and the 'Deep Chorus'.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your BN when you get it and it will be interesting to hear how you find it in comparison with the Magicstomp.

One difference I forgot to mention before is that AFAIK the Magicstomp has amp modelling built in but the Blue Nebula is purely designed to emulate the echo unit only. I use a Joyo AC Tone after the BN to model the sound of an AC30 and a 10-band EQ as was mentioned by Tonio is useful to shape the tone to get that vintage sound. Mine is an MXR Ten Band EQ pedal but I've read good things about the Caline 10-ban EQ which is very reasonably priced.

Phil.
GuitarPhil

Full Real Name: Philip Hawthorne

Postby PFtwanger » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:03 pm

You know, when I loaded the custom patches onto the Magicstomp, I assumed that they overwrote the other functions, removing the amp emulations. Consequently, I've been using it as a dedicated echo box in front of either a Roland practice micro BR 80 or my Deluxe Reverb. The BR has built-in EQ, but with the Deluxe I've had to cut way back on the Reverb effect.

I'm away from home just now, but when I get there, I'm going to look to see if any of the regular Magicstomp features survived the custom software load.

It's only a few days ago that I put my email address at Stanley, so I expect it will be awhile before I hear from them. Congratulations on putting out such a well conceived product!
PFtwanger

Postby ErikMAMS » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:12 am

GuitarPhil wrote:...The Baby Blue and the Blue Nebula have the same improved preamp which is a lower noise and more advanced design to better emulate the valve preamp in the original Meazzi echo units than the eTap2 pedal.....

Hi Phil,
The schematic for the analog audio circuit of Piet's original eTap2 has been public for ages (as part of Piet's admirable concept and the DIY idea). Is the schematic for the improved BN circuit public/available as well - I just haven't seen it or any mention of it?

Erik
ErikMAMS

Postby GuitarPhil » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:53 pm

Hi Erik,

The plan is to release the schematic along with or included in the building instructions for the kit version of the Blue Nebula once the documentation is finalised. At the moment Stanley FX is concentrating on keeping up with the demand for the ready-built units.

The BN is a much more complex project than the original eTap2hw so releasing the schematic on it's own wouldn't really be of much help to the average builder. It will be published in due course though :)

Phil.
GuitarPhil

Full Real Name: Philip Hawthorne

Postby ErikMAMS » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:31 pm

Oh I see - clearly haven't paid proper attention. I had the impression the kit version was out already, released before ready-built units was offered. Thanks Phil.

Erik
ErikMAMS

Postby Egelund » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:46 pm

Hi

I have the Blue Nebula, and I also have 2 magicstomps with EFTP.
I have been using my magicstomp for years, both practice and live with bands.
Charlie Hall used to rate it just after the Q2 and Q20.

The magicstomp is fast and simple to use, and you get a lot of effect in the programmes, no short version echo here.
I have used MS both in chains and against others and been quite happy.
The sound i s clear, only thing is that it is a bit sharp in the sound, so an EQ is a good idea.
It must be taken in to consideration, that it no longer is a new design, I actually had one who broke down, but I got a few others fairly cheap.

The blue Nebula i s very good, the sound is good and not so thin, though I prefer a bit more Mix and feedback on the echoes.
However it is new, if that means anything, but the design is great, and it is dead easy to edit, and has a lot of clever features for the guitarplayer.
And I would guess that hardcore fans, would say that it is more authentic.

Listen to you tube, you will find both units used by different guitarplayers.
And remember, it is just gear, it can.t compete with talent.

Regards
Niels

I
Egelund

Full Real Name: Niels Egelund faddersbøll

Postby PFtwanger » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:44 am

Hi Niels:

Thanks for your insights regarding the MagicStomp and the Blue Nebula. I'm very aware of the MagicStomp's age, which is why I put my email address on the Stanley list.

Your experience is very valuable to me, because it sounds like you prefer the sounds of Piet's echos on the Blue Nebula vs. the EFTP on the MagicStomp. Even though it's not quite "apples to apples," (I have Piet's echos on my MagicStomp, not the EFTP patches), I suspect that your comment about the more modern hardware on the Blue Nebula, especially the FET work that Phil has described, makes an audible difference.

In the end, as you noted, it comes down to the player. But I have to say that when I practice with the echos that are timed to the exact song, my picking arm relaxes and plays much more easily. That was such an eye opener, that you can see my awe-inspired gratitude in the first post on this thread.

--Paul
PFtwanger

Postby Egelund » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:38 am

Hi Paul

I had the blue Nebula out with the band last night.
An I am not quite sure what I think about it.

The thing with several new units is, that they are made by very competent and technical people.
It always give a hype of great expectation, and when the product is finally there, no one wants to be the first to say "is this really the best"
Being from Denmark, the land of Hans Christian Andersen, I grew up with the fairytale of the emperors new clothes, everyone was led to believe that they were so beautiful, until a little boy said, he has not got any clothes on.

Though the MS is of older origin and the EFTP only did cost 25 pound, I have had it singing and cutting through the mix, and all the audience would come up and ask what echo do I use.
It has been in my board for live use, for years and years
So try it, and if you like the MS better, then there is nothing wrong with you, and if not, don.t sell it.

Regards
Niels
Egelund

Full Real Name: Niels Egelund faddersbøll

Postby PFtwanger » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:30 pm

Hi Niels:

Hmmm.... Hopefully it's just growing pains with a complex box. I know that my MS requires hardly any tweaking when I use it through my solid state micro cube with AC 30 emulation. OTOH, it gets dark and mushy when I play it through Deluxe Reverb reissue, requiring tweaking to the MS and the amp.

The learning curve continues...

--Paul
PFtwanger

Previous

Return to eTap2HW Forum