Locked threads today.

Anything to do with eTap2HW

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Locked threads today.

Postby Twang46 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:41 pm

As they say................. a thousand words or one picture...

Dick
Twang46

Full Real Name: Dick Cruddas

Re: Locked threads today.

Postby David Martin » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:03 pm

Sad, really Dick...

Some crossed wires and unfortunate timing led to the locking and eventual deletion the the two eTap demo threads. I hope Robbo wil repost his demo files... then, rather than members shouting the odds, we can all just listen and make our own minds up...

Personally, I'm grateful that he has the technology and gives the time to evaluate the stuff he's worked with over the years...

D
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby dave robinson » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:18 pm

I will re-post the links for all those eTap2hw demos - watch this space. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby fenderplucker » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:13 am

I wonder why Dick felt the need to start this thread?

And just to head off any further innuendo, I state again that I have no interest in raining on other people's parades. I only entered the discussion in the threads that are now locked in response to unsubstantiated disparaging claims about the TVS3 and it seems that putting them to objective assessment is not allowed.

By the way Dick we are not peeved at the blocking, but rather amused by the "insiders" scuttling off behind the battlements and ponder who is locked out and who is locked in!!

Paul.
fenderplucker

Full Real Name: Paul Rossiter

Good idea.

Postby abstamaria » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:24 am

I think it was a good call to lock the threads, David. Paul should be happy as his comparison was the last word when the thread closed!

Yes, Dave, please post when you are ready. But do it with a Vox amp and your favorite Stratocaster so the demonstration is presented in the best possible way and we can limit the variables to the player and the box itself. I for one would be quite interested.

Doubtless, as with mobile phones, technology will keep marching on and we will be getting even better products in the future, perhaps from Charlie, TVS, Piet, or someone completely new, that will address a nuance we are not yet aware of and be even closer than we can imagine now to the sound of that 52-year-old Meazzi!

In this regard, I found the A and B comparisons that Paul kindly posted to have been quite educational and enlightening. They provided us a means to judge the contenders objectively. As they required a simple sound comparison of the same chord to the original, anyone, even a 28-year-old secretary who knows nothing about the piece, can make a valid judgment. All one has to do is to decide which is closer to the original. I was surprised the results in both instances were unanimous, even if the listeners came from all walks of life. (In this regard, perhaps a disinterested, young person will be the best judge; you will be startled to note how much hearing fall-off, particularly in the higher frequencies, occurs in older guys, particularly those exposed to loud guitar amps, loud drummers, and loud old racing cars.)

We can use the same comparison process for our (good-natured) arguments on string gauge, pick-ups, plectrums, compressors, etc.

Many thanks for the effort, Dave, Paul. Best to all,

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby David Martin » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:43 am

The life of a moderator is such fun... :roll:

Whenever a thread is locked or deleted, critical comments are forthcoming, some whimsical and some littered with intemperate little barbs. That leads to responses, subtle or angry, according to personality, and tempers escalate again and so it gets worse...

I'll repeat what I've written many times ... Because facial expression, body language and vocal inflection are missing, written language is a very limited instrument and can easily lead to misinterpretation as we have seen...

And, in my opinion, because sound files can be played on such an enormous variety of machines, there is no infallible mechanism for establishing supremacy, even if our individual ears and brains worked the same - which they don't anyway. So all we are left with is a statement of individual opinion - and there can be no resolution of those differences via a forum. (As an aside, were we all in the same room with one guitar, amp and player, and all the different echo machines, would we all agree? I suspect not... )

Three weeks ago, the singer with my current band was diagnosed with a brain tumour, and a week ago he died.
(Forgive me for this, but I'm getting old...)
Enjoy your life, celebrate the music and the people who inspired us... Be happy that we are all alive to do so... Revel in the joy of the talents you all possess... Respect each other's opinion... And quit the undignified wrangling...

If you want to abuse each other, please do it via pm's and not the forum...

And I love you all... (Really...) and I'm glad you are here...

;)

And I've locked this too... Don't feel sore... Get on with the music!
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Return to eTap2HW Forum