Re: Valve pre-amp.......

Postby keithmantle » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:48 am

AlanMcKillop wrote:Bringing this to the top for Keith. :thumbup:

Thanks Al, just found the Heads comparison letters and numbers
keithmantle

Full Real Name: keith george mantle

Postby dave robinson » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:10 am

Stratstroker wrote:I've had a couple of hours play with my Eccamatic valve jobby and I can honestly say that it is far superior to anything I have used previously.
It has far more ambience/presence than my EFTP units and just seems to add something quite extraordinary to the sound which give it those vintage vibes.

The echo can even be heard during the legato of the note when the string is not being damped and this is of course absolutely essential for an authentic Apache sound.If you increase the mix level on my other units to achieve that effect you end up with a far too powerful echo but not so with this little beauty.
In fact I have found that it is often necessary to reduce the wet/dry mix level from Robbo's settings. This may be because I am not, as yet, playing to any form of backing and I have got the volume LOUD!!! so I hear everything - including the mistakes! I will know more when I can remember how to record something and so hear the guitar in it's proper context.

I have not been able to overdrive the amp using the input and output level controls using CS54 pups but I haven't tried humbuckers yet.

One question for Dave Robbo. How come the heads level on your recommended settings goes up to 9 in some cases. I only have 5 settings - A,B,C,E and F, so are you just quoting the o'clock positions. Ecca tells me we both have the same controls so I am a little intrigued.

Can't find anything to criticise about this little box of tricks. Lovely smooth sound, great controlability (if that's a proper word!) beautiful echos, and vintage vibes by the bucketload. I can't be certain about this until I have made some recordings but I strongly suspect that I am actually getting a decent quack on the top strings , something which has always eluded me!

Fantastic, so thanks to Piet for what must have been countless hours of hard work and head-scratching and to Ecca for putting it into a form I can actually use!

Al.

Those settings that I posted last year when I first got the Etap2hw are not written in stone, you should fine tune according to your own preference.
I have since played with my Eccamatic and used it quite differently and in a more 'random' fashion, as you would when setting it up quickly between numbers in a live performance and I like it even more because as has already been written, there is an authenticity with the sound of this machine. Regarding the numbers on the gain dial, I believe that it' depends on how much 'distress' you would like to hear from the guitar, all pickups have different output levels and the guitar I first tested the unit with sounded good at the levels that I recommended, not written in stone though !
I recommend that folks experiment - AND ......Hank didn' t use as much echo as some seem to think, I benefited from listening to his early recordings over and over, the clues are all there :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby keithmantle » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:16 am

Any help ?. With regards to the heads/mode dial can anyone tell what each individual setting actually means ie how many heads used/spacings/timings etc does each letter-number refer to.I've looked in Piets chapter 6(using the unit) with no joy.
keithmantle

Postby panchodiaz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:58 pm

Hi Keith,
In the echoes I have built built I have called LEVEL (echo level) to the first knob, with a range from 0 to 10; the second knob is called MODE and has five zones A-B-C-E-F (but for certain programs you can need the intermediate positions (Piet defined them as 0-A-2-B-4-C-6-E-8-F-10, but I called them A - A+ - B - B+ - C - C+ - E - E+ - F - F+). The third knob is called REPEAT (Feedback).Taking that notation into account, you can try these settings as a starting point of your own research:

TUNE PROGRAM LEVEL MODE REPEAT
Apache 2 8 F 1
Atlantis 3 5 C 6
Dance On 4 4 B 5
Find me a G St. 3 6 F 6
Gonzales 7 9 F 0
Shadoogie 3 5 E 4+
Shane 7 8 F 0
Frightened City 1 6 C 0
Flingel Bunt 4 3 E 4+
The Savage 3 6 F 5
W. Land 3 5+ C 6

I hope this helps. Cheers,
Pancho
panchodiaz

Full Real Name: Francisco Diaz Paniagua

Postby panchodiaz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:59 pm

Sorry. I thought that each value was in its column.
panchodiaz

Postby keithmantle » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:16 pm

Hi Pancho. Thanks for your explanation but that was not what i was after, I already have Robbo's settings for most tunes as printed in a earlier thread and some of my own, perhaps Ecca or Piet might know, with each different programme (different Meazzi's etc) i would like a basic idea how/why the heads-mode change the echo pattern as per my original request, Is A or 1 one head, B/3 3 heads, different patterns of heads used (1345) on mode whatever etc thanks again keith
keithmantle

Postby AlanMcKillop » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:52 pm

That info is on the Echotapper website, I printed a copy.
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby panchodiaz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:26 pm

Oh, I´m sorry Keith. I didn´t undertand your question. Anyway I hope those settings can be of some use to somebody.
Cheers.
panchodiaz

Postby KurtFroberg » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:56 pm

Hi Keith,
The Head / Mode Control ABCEF works different depending on the program you chose with the program selector.
Please read chapter 6 in Piets build instructions http://www.echotapper.nl/images/doc/eTap2hw.pdf where you can see the different head timings, combination of heads etc.
It´s a great little machine!

Kurt
KurtFroberg

Full Real Name: Kurt Fröberg

PreviousNext

Return to Other stuff...