Is this the same guitar?

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Is this the same guitar?

Postby JimN » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:01 pm

This picture (cited above and presented here in a cropped form) is intriguing:

https://anonimag.es/image/JT9sJg2

The "Ivors" web-page reveals that the 1962 awards:

http://theivors.com/archive/1960-1969/the-ivors-1962/

"...were presented by WE Butlin MBE and the Songwriters Guild of Great Britain. They were broadcast on BBC Television on 13th May 1962.

The broadcast was introduced by Catherine Boyle and starred Cliff Richard and The Shadows, Anthony Newley, Helen Shapiro, Matt Monro, Johnny Dankworth and His Orchestra, Tony Osborne, Ron Grainger and The Ivor Raymonde Singers. Eric Robinson conducted the orchestra, led by David McCallum."

"Catherine Boyle" (more usually known as Katie) is easy to identify in the picture (as are Cliff and Helen Shapiro). I wasn't sure about Anthony Newley and before I saw the web-page, I had him down as a possible, with the same applying to Matt Monro.

John Dankworth is another easy-to-recognise figure.

I assume that the man next to him is the aforementioned WE Butlin MBE.

The awards may give a clue to the identities of some of the other faces seen in the photo. Possibilities include Ron Grainer, Tony Osborne (who wrote and recorded a string of delightful light music pieces), Michael Carr and Norman Newell.

Oh, and...

"Outstanding Services to British Music

Cliff Richard, Jet Harris, Hank Marvin, Tony Meehan and Bruce Welch"
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby JimN » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:39 pm

Paul Childs wrote:During the 80s, I can't remember exactly which year now as I saw them on every tour, Hank, Bruce & Alan Jones each had sunburst Strats & P bass on stage in stands as spares. Could Hank's have been the one metioned? and what about Bruce's sunburst one?

That might have been the 1984 "summer tour" which went to smaller theatres and venues, usually with two shows per night.

I saw them at Margate, Chatham and Dartford.

Hank definitely had the "Tony Hicks" Strat as a spare and used it when he handed over the red guitr to a roadie to be tuned offstage.

. I have never seen the large-headstock sunburst model "in the flesh".
JimN

Postby George Geddes » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:25 pm

I am pretty sure they had a set of sunburst Strats on stage during the Silver Jubilee tour. I assumed they had been supplied by Arbiter.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby JimN » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:35 pm

George Geddes wrote:I am pretty sure they had a set of sunburst Strats on stage during the Silver Jubilee tour. I assumed they had been supplied by Arbiter.

George

Were The Shadows were ever supplied by Arbiter with anything except a couple of presentation guitars?

The 1979 Anniversary Strat, for instance, as well as the first one of Hank's Signature models (the one where he changed to 1950s style gold tremolo arm for a 1960s type, in chrome).
JimN

Previous

Return to Gear