This is worth considering, Boss Katana combo

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: This is worth considering, Boss Katana combo

Postby Hank2k » Wed May 31, 2017 3:33 pm

Well i bit the bullet on one of these aswell. Fed up with carrying my vox around to rehearsals etc i was in the market for a small amp and after being unable to source a session acetone i brought the Katana 50. Just been delivered so will give it a whirl at our rehearsals this evening and see what it can do. Reviews online sound great, i am just hoping it is loud enough for what i need.
Hank2k

Postby RUSSET » Wed May 31, 2017 8:18 pm

Received my Katana 100 yesterday. It certainly is as Dave describes; what an amp ! & not a valve in sight. I have already saved my four preset patches with the Tone set channel buttons. Just be careful when using one of them that you don't overwrite it by mistake if you fiddle about with the main panel knobs. All you do to save is hold down the channel button for one second & it writes your current panel settings into that preset. Careful with the Boost control; it certainly does what it says with a vengeance &, like a valve amp, may push you into overdrive when you are not expecting it.
For £269 this has got to be the quality bargain of the decade.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby TimRyland » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:00 pm

Sorry it's not Shadows related, but how is it for Marshall type tones?

Specifically Bluesbreaker, Plexi, JCM800, etc.

I currently have a VT20+ which I love, but was considering a Marshall Code25 to go with it, but may consider the Katana.

Tim.
TimRyland

Full Real Name: Tim Ryland

Postby neil2726 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:34 pm

I think Dave Robinson deserves commission from all these manufacturers! He mentions something on here and sales soar! yes I've bought on his recommendation! :D :D :D
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby RUSSET » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:55 am

I'm not sure about the actual tones of the actual Marshall valve amps mentioned above, but the basic drive tones available are based on the models in the Boss pedal range. On the Booster knob you get Blues Drive (Boss BD 2), Overdrive (Boss OD 1) & also a 'standard' distortion tone. They are pretty representative of what they describe & are very useable drive tones. The 'breakup' on the crunch tones is gradual, like a real valve amp, & you have to be careful that you don't over-egg the drive on your clean settings, or it will start to breakup. I set up a nice clean preset patch that worked well aFender guitar. I then used my Epi 339 with humbuckers through it, & the breakup came immediately from the humbuckers' higher input signal.
You have to seriously read the amp's manual to get the idea of how to use the control panel etc. There's only about 7 pages of info & diagrams, & it's all clarified there.
I did manage to set up a reasonable Shads lead sound on one of the preset buttons, but that's not all of what I use it for. It worked well at my Music Club venue this week, & for the cost, it is one of the best cost/value bargains I have ever acquired.
Thanks to Dave for the heads up on this new range of amps. Roland Boss, like other Jap companies, Yamaha, Ibanez etc. really have got the quality issue sorted.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:54 pm

TimRyland wrote:Sorry it's not Shadows related, but how is it for Marshall type tones?

Don't worry, Tim, not everything said here has to be Shadows-related. This message board is about equipment and it's fine to talk about other things a piece of kit can do.
We only ask that the "General" board is reserved for directly Shadows-related material, and that's simply to maintain the focus of the site.
Hope this helps - Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Previous

Return to Gear