STRINGS

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

STRINGS

Postby Alexis Lambert » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:35 pm

What are the recommended string to use on the Strat?

I have 13's Fender Super Bullets on at the mo. Afew people have tried my strat & say they're too heavy. They've also started to rust, which i'm not happy about as they have only been on since feb & the guitar is hardly used.

What should i replace them with?
Alexis Lambert

Re: STRINGS

Postby kipper » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:44 pm

some strings do rust more than others but some people can make metal rust more than others its just a chemical thing. peter
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Postby dave robinson » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:44 pm

I have used the heavy ones and yes, there is a stroger voice from the guitar with those, but nowadays I use Gibson 10/46 or Ernie Ball 10/46 depending on which are available at the best price in six or ten packs at a time. I don't hear any difference between them and they always last at least around three months heavy use. I've tried all the fancy ones with their protective coatings etc and as someone who gigs for a living I can't recommend their value for money, as the sets I used broke at least one of the wound strings within two months, making it expensive to continue to use them, I figured out this is the cheapest way to string and it works for me over many different genres of music. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby MeBHank » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:57 am

For general use I now won't look beyond Elixir. Most sets I buy last for at least six months. I have had a couple of sets last me more than a year. Breakages are very rare; I get much fewer than I have done with just about every other brand. I tend to change strings once the intonation starts becoming unstable/unreliable, and not because of lack of tone or breakage. I don't wipe the strings down after use either, nor do I spend any time caring for them. Whatever the 'anti-rust' treatment is on the plain stings, it works!

In terms of string gauge, I used to use .013s all the time. I'm using .011s at the moment, and once I again get a guitar set up for an early Shadows sound I will be using at least .012s (which will probably be Pyramid flatwounds). Use whatever gauge you're happy with, there's no right or wrong answer. Dave's right: the heavier the gauge the fuller the sound will be.

J
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:26 am

Justin is absolutely right, there is no right or wrong. I have a Strat that I only use for Shadows-type music and that has 12s, on the other hand all my others have 10s and still sound all right. I stick to Dimarzios because they settle down quickly, stay in tune forever and never break (unlike Justin, I DO clean my strings after every time I play; to each his own! Mine aren't coated though).

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what strings you use, or what guitar, what amplifier or what echo. The tone is in the player, not the equipment.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby RogerCook » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:09 pm

Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky 11-54 but changed the plain 3rd for a wound .024. I'd like to use 10s but can't "dig in" hard enough with the pick though they're easier on the left hand.

I'm thinking of trying Rotosound 11s next time I restring (no wound 3rd though). Anyone have thoughts on them?
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby anniv 63 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:19 pm

Personally, have found Roto Strings in 12 and 13 gauges good tone and durable with
wound 3rds. work fine on sound balance match.
Suppose a G string choice for these depends on the pickup pole pieces profile of a
particular set in use generally ?

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby ecca » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:10 am

I bought the cheapest possible strings I could from China just as a comparison. 10 to 46.
They're just as good as any others at an unbelievable £1.16 a set.
No difference.
ecca

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:40 pm

Yes, I've bought the cheap ones as well, they're no bad at all. Three times as cheap, but not three times as bad!

Forgot to mention before that with the 12s I did try a wound third for a time, but found it was a little quieter than the other strings in the set so soon switched back to plain. I suppose my next step should be to try flatwounds but have you seen what they cost? You must be joking!
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby RogerCook » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:43 pm

I've also tried those cheap strings but on both sets the high E broke where it wrapped around the ball end. Just not reliable enough. For wound 3rds I find I have to go at least 2 and often 4 gauges heavier otherwise they are quieter.
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Next

Return to Gear