Your First Guitar!

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Your First Guitar!

Postby Keith Bateman » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:12 pm

My early guitars from 1960 quite unwittingly mirrored those of the Beatles.

My first was an acoustic Egmond similar to George's first guitar and which I purchased for £5 from my school music teacher and Aylesbury music luminary Charles Pope.

I then progressed (?!) to my first electric which was a greenburst Rosetti Solid 7 much the same as the one Paul used in Hamburg and converted with piano strings to act as a bass.

Having been defeated by the terrible action and dodgy electrics on the Rosetti I then acquired a Futurama III similar to George's except that mine was red with single-sided machine heads. This was bought for £25 (I cashed in my Premium Bonds!) from the lead guitarist of a local group, The Hellions, who played at our youth club and featured many Shadows numbers in their act. Their rhythm guitarist Ray Cartwright was kind enough to teach me some useful chords which helped me considerably.
Futuram5.JPG
(52.06 KiB) Downloaded 8280 times

Me with Futurama III and Truvoice New Standard TV8-T amp
Keith Bateman

Full Real Name: Keith Bateman

Postby RayL » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:14 am

Uncle Fiesta,
Going off-topic, in the ARC pic what and where is the brick building in the background? Some sort of church - with a house attached on the left? And what is the upside-down heart symbol on the entrance pillar?
Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Graham S » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:25 pm

My first guitar a Futurama II this picture from 1963, incidentally I only moved from that house 2 years ago.
Graham.
Attachments
1963 reframe.jpg
(320.72 KiB) Downloaded 8243 times
Graham S

Full Real Name: Graham Stagg

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:02 pm

RayL wrote:Uncle Fiesta,
Going off-topic, in the ARC pic what and where is the brick building in the background? Some sort of church - with a house attached on the left? And what is the upside-down heart symbol on the entrance pillar?
Ray

Google Maps describes it as "Holy Trinity" so I suppose it must be a church. It's at 170 Wells Road in Bristol.

Here's a picture of the symbol on the wall taken from Google Street View.

Sign.jpg
Sign.jpg (9.08 KiB) Viewed 9306 times
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby JimN » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:29 pm

Graham S wrote:My first guitar a Futurama II this picture from 1963, incidentally I only moved from that house 2 years ago.
Graham.

What was later described by Selmer as the Futurama Duo, this early (and cheaper) version of the Futurama II was made, if I recall, in Czechoslovakia.

With its more normal and logical switching, it at looks better than the Grazioso version as used by George Harrison, Gerry Marsden and Albert Lee.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Pat Seaman » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:43 pm

TimRyland wrote:My first guitar was a Futurama from a local second-hand shop. A few months after buying it, I saw Argent on OGWT. I thought Russ Ballards Strat looked ultra cool with the holes in it, so took a jigsaw to mine. It stayed like that for a year until I saw Andy Powell's Flying V, so off came the neck and down the local timber merchants for some wood and I made myself one. I still have some pictures of it somewhere, along with homemade fuzz and wah pedals.

I had a red Futurama 2 de-luxe. I can't imagine what de-luxe referred to, it was awful but, at least, it got me started on the road to ruin.
Pat Seaman

Postby Moderne » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:34 pm

My first electric guitar was a Burns Split-Sonic which I bought in December 1984 from Leeds legend Surfin' Dave. The deal was brokered by Dave's guitarist, an American guy called Chris Haskett who went on to play with Henry Rollins. "If you want it, that's cool; if you don't want it, that's cool too!!" I did want it and I paid £115 for it. (Dave wanted £120 but I beat him down...) I kept it for 10 years until Worcester Music City owner Stuart Field offered me his mint condition example. By then I also had a Marvin and a greenburst TR2. I couldn't justify owning two Split-Sonics so I sold the one I'd bought off Surfin' Dave through an ad in Guitarist magazine for £200.
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby Billyboygretsch » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:32 pm

My Egmond in 1959
Attachments
IMG_6444.JPG
(117.93 KiB) Downloaded 8177 times
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Postby dale01487ITSME » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:32 pm

My first guitar was an air guitar. Still have it somehwere, here's a pic of it.
Attachments
images.png
images.png (590 Bytes) Viewed 9165 times
dale01487ITSME

Postby Jay Bass » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:18 pm

My first serious guitar from Bells surbiton surrey
watkins rapier 22
This was around 1972/3 before this i had a old piano accordian that was my nans that i used to pick out the tunes on
and of course the usual unplayable acoustic guitars.
watkins rapier.jpg
(222.74 KiB) Downloaded 8082 times
Jay Bass

Full Real Name: Jay Van Harte

PreviousNext

Return to Gear