Do you run or attend a Shadows Guitar Club?

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Do you run or attend a Shadows Guitar Club?

Postby SJB » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:34 pm

Had a great evening last Tuesday 10th at the South Wales Shadows club - Penarth.

SJB
SJB

Full Real Name: Stuart J Best

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:53 pm

SJB wrote:Had a great evening last Tuesday 10th at the South Wales Shadows club - Penarth.

SJB

Thanks for that Stuart
Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Keith Bateman » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:56 am

The North Wilts Shadows Club is sadly now defunct as reported in the final post of that section. Despite the very best efforts of the organisers there was insufficient support to keep it viable.

Keith
Keith Bateman

Full Real Name: Keith Bateman

Postby tommybird » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:09 pm

Hi
Northumberland Shadows still going every Wednesday night 7-30pm
tommybird

Full Real Name: tommy bird

Postby RogerCook » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:06 am

I'm not involved in running any of these but I know they are still operating!

Watford
Kent
Guitars in the Shadows (Dartford)
Surrey

There are also a couple of clubs that don't have an entry on the club page, Cookham and Hoddesdon.
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby Iain Purdon » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:14 pm

Thanks to everyone who has taken the trouble to answer this question! It seems there were not that many errors, which is good news. I hope I now have the right clubs listed in the main Club Area while the handful that have closed are now in the Former Club section within it. If you do spot any other inaccuracy, do please let me know and I'll put it right.

By the way, the Club Area exists only for those clubs that want it. There are other clubs who simply have not chosen to be listed there. If any unlisted club would like to appear there please let us know and we'll put you in.

With all good wishes - Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby noelford » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:31 am

Sorry to report that the West Of Wales Shadows and Guitar club held its final meeting (in that format) last Saturday, after eight good years. For some time, the club has been changing into more of a general music club, including vocals (though Shads material has regularly been played). It hasn't helped that I moved to Herefordshire, a hundred miles away, so Ken Gilbert & myself took the decision to finish. The club will continue, in a new name, West Wales Guitar and Music Club, and will be run by our good friend Doreen Driscoll. She will be holding meetings on the the second Saturday of each month at a new venue, The Jubilee Center, Newcastle Emlyn. Although the Shadows element has been dropped, and the club will embrace all kinds of music, I know that Shads tunes will still be welcomed there.
noelford

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:06 pm

Thanks for the update, Noel. Sorry but not surprised at your decision. It seems to be a bit of a trend. We in Warwick have incorporated vocals and non-Shads material to a degree and it seems to have helped.
Good to know the phoenix has risen in the form of the new club. Especially for my sister and family, a musical bunch who moved this year to Newcastle Emlyn!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby SHADADDICT » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:45 pm

Hi Iain,
Glad to report the Watford 'Sounds like the Shadows' club is still alive and kicking
albeit in a different location - We're not actually in Watford now, we're in Bushey. just a short way down the road.
Tony (shadaddict)

Life is like a toilet roll - The nearer you get to the end . the faster it goes!!
SHADADDICT

Full Real Name: Tony Read

Postby Iain Purdon » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:37 pm

SHADADDICT wrote:Hi Iain,
Glad to report the Watford 'Sounds like the Shadows' club is still alive and kicking
albeit in a different location - We're not actually in Watford now, we're in Bushey. just a short way down the road.
Tony (shadaddict)

Good to know, Tony. Would you like the club blurb rewritten to include your new venue?

You may also be interested to know that Rock of Ages, formed by Watford club members in 1999, plays its last ever gig at Kings Langley Services Club on the evening of Saturday 9th December. If any members who remember us old timers would like to come and help us celebrate 18+ years of rock'n'roll, always with a good portion of Shads, please do - it would be great to see you.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows