Burns Marvin Anniversary/Marvin 64

For any discussion specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Burns Marvin Anniversary/Marvin 64

Postby Rover » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:01 pm

Hi, There is an Anniversary Marvin on ebay which I was about to bid on, when I noticed that the guitar did not have neck binding, and the backplate says Marvin 64. However the backplate has a serial number which matches the serial number on the photograph of Hank. Can anyone suggest what is going on here, the guy says he bought the guitar new from a music shop.
Rover

Full Real Name: Roger Dyball

Re: Burns Marvin Anniversary/Marvin 64

Postby bor64 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:58 pm

Hi Roger,

I bought two 2004 40th Anniversary Marvins, direct from Burns back in 2004/5... number 61 and 62.
Both coa's where signed by Hank like the one on the picture, more importand the serial numbers where written in the hand and the same pen as Hanks signature.
All coa's of all 40th Anniversary Marvins I've seen sinds dozens and dozens are signed in the same way and the same hand with the same pen and not as the serialnumber showed on the coa of this guitar on eBay. It's just a 1964 serie wich came after all 2004 40th Anniversary guitars where sold out....
So this geezer is trying to con people for a higher prize with a fake coa...

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby neil2726 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:43 pm

The Anniversary edition was a run of 2004 guitars, all came with signed pic of Hank. The neck back plate bears the word Anniversary.
A further unlimited run was produced and called 64 after all Anniversary models sold. I believe the 64 did not have the signed pic of Hank.

Whilst the Anniversary White models had the neck binding the green models did not. Not sure if the white and green were added together to reach the 2004 sales, or whether that refers just to the white model
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby bor64 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:29 pm

Hi Niel,

Yes the green ones are part of the 2004 samples of the 40th anniverasy serie.
All of the greenburst Marvin have the "strat" like neck pocket instead of real Burns neck outfit like large numbers of the white ones.
Like I wrote in my above reply, the coa on eBay of this 1964 guitar is fake and not a part of the casecandy of this guitar....it's fake copy from a original coa with a badly try to fake the serialnumber in this copied coa....to get a higher price for the 1964 Marvin.

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby Hank2k » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:05 am

Interesting as the certificate looks like it is on the same paper as an original but as you say the others are written in a heavy black pen but this one looks like a Biro.

The neck plate should say anniversary 40th but to be honest at that price its still worth it regardless. I have seen these go for £800+ most of the time
Hank2k

Postby Rover » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:53 pm

Hi, thanks for all your comments. I see now that the signed photo is a fake. I will not bid now.
regards Rover
Rover

Postby pauldb38 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:25 pm

dont know if this help but heres whats on the back of mine

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Anb-KRu-XcKkhjFaIC2-8gVYyQGM

and mine came with a certificate with the serial on the cert in pen
pauldb38

Full Real Name: Paul Bulmer

Postby MikeAB » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:43 pm

Roger - I left a private message for you a while back - in case you're still looking for a Burns.

Mike
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

Postby Rover » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:40 pm

Hi Mike, yes I did receive your message and did reply, or at least I tried to reply. I do not wish to spend much money so I am going to purchase a brand new Burns Marquee or Bison Ultrasound.

Thanks again for your offer.
regards Rover
Rover

Return to Burns