"That Sound" simplified subset

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

"That Sound" simplified subset

Postby Grahaml » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:22 pm

Can I get some advivce frm those more knowledgable than me (that'll be 99.9% of forum members).

Im sorry if this has ben covered before - I'm sure it must have been but I have look and can't find it sorry.

If I wanted a small number of shadows sounds available on my effects pedal (Boss ME 80) what would be the sounds that give the best approximation from most Shadows tunes?

Is one setting a possiblity? Or what would be a small and manageable subset in your opinion?

I'm pretty sure that an avearage audience won't be aware of the differences - but I'd like to be able to do the best I can.

I have the settings available from the Boss Website - "Tone Studio" although I found that they are overdrivedn through my amp - perhaps set up for direct out or headphones.

I'm using a Classic Player (60's) strat and mostly a Blackstar HT40 with the Boss ME 80.

Many thanks in advance.
Graham
Grahaml

Re: "That Sound" simplified subset

Postby David Martin » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:20 am

If you have access to Tone Studio, you should build your own generic sound, according to your own ears. There are so many variables, amp, speakers, pickups, echo unit, guitar, ears, how you play... it has to be your own take. It's going to be a fiddly process, playing the record and comparing with your sound, but, unless you make a real pig's ear of it, the audience will be unlikely to hear the differences.... A Shadows Club audience is, however, a different matter... :D
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby Grahaml » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:23 pm

Thanks David - I was beginning the think no-one would answer.

For background I've been playing guitar on and off (between other interests and life events) for nearly 50 years. Gigged a one-off at 13 year old (1970) then gigged in a country band for a year or so in the mid to late 70's. For the past several years I've been much more into playing my guitars - at home with backing tracks (and recently using a Digitech Trio Plus too). Just recently though I have the inclination to maybe get together with some folks to jam and possibly do a gig or two if we have a good enough standard.

As far as the echo setting go - and your advive (thanks).

Yes I have done that myself, I've also had a Zoom G2.1 in the past with "EFTP" loaded and a Zoom G3X with ART D'ECHO loaded as well as doing my own approximations with various amps (Blackstar ID range).

I've also found the Boss Tone Studio Tone Central and there are already some shadows approximations there (14 of them) - but I was wondering if I could select a smaller subset rather than selecting different echos for each tune - or the other extreme of just one setting for all. I realise that any audience (Shadows afficianados excepted) won't notice the difference but I know that playing the Wonderful and setting feels overpowering for say Dance On or FBI.

At the moment I have put 4 presets on as well as a setting I can quickly put together in manual mode (the Boss ME 80 is great in that respect - why I bought it really). I have saved pre-sets based on.
Apache
Dance on
Wonderful Land
Kon Tiki

The tunes I like and know well (enough) to play to anyone are;
Apache
Frightened City
Dance On
Shindig
FBI
Kon Tiki
Atlantis
Theme for Young Lovers
Peace Pipe
Foot Tapper
The Stranger

Any advice on a setting or three in that context? Not looking for prerfection in the settings - but a bit better than one setting does all.

Failing that I can manage but I was wondering if those with a better ear and monre knowledge could advise?

Thanks
Graham
Grahaml

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:45 pm

When I had a Line 6 Delay Modeler, which has three programmable presets, I used to store 3 - all using the Tape Delay setting, which has 4 simulated (heads).

Apache - heads 1, 3 and 4
Wonderful Land - heads 1, 2 and 4
Atlantis - all 4 heads

I don't know if these are all correct, but they sounded OK to me (I've since moved on to a Hall & Collins which requires no programming at all).

I found that these three were more or less suitable for most things, although presumably not 100% accurate for anything. Bear in mind that unless you're playing to a room full of Shadows experts, 99.999% of your audience won't have a clue whether you're using the right echo or not anyway.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby David Martin » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:06 am

And the Shadows experts will disagree with each other.... :D
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby dave robinson » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:41 pm

I get away with the Wonderful Land patch at three different levels - low echo volume to cover Shadoogie, Shindig and similar, where excessive echo isn't required, then a higher level for The Savage, KonTiki etc, then the actual Wonderful Land echo level which covers Sleepwalk, Sweet Dreams, Midnight et al. This patch uses heads 1 2 3 4 with 4 being the loudest of all, providing the 'kick'.
The other patch I use is the Apache pattern which is distinctly different sounding and covers Man Of Mystery, Frightened city, FBI, Mustang, Stranger etc. That's achieved using heads 1 3 4 all at the same level, with varying levels of feed back. Not perfect but close.

They are not exactly right for every Shadows tune but punters wouldn't know that and it makes the job easier.
I've seen Hank dozens of times and not once have I heard him use the correct echoes, but his magic is in the fingers.
I once saw him using a Watkins Shadow echo, which is a Copicat with two playback heads - he sounded amazing. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Grahaml » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:24 pm

Many thanks folks - I will see how it works out best with the unit I have. It's very programmable - but perhaps not worth getting into any precision for what I'm after. I have the EFTP settings that I had bought and installed in an old unit I had (Zoom G2) so maybe I will get some groupings from that too. What I have sounds OK already I was just trying to do as well as I could within reason.

Thanks again,
Graham
Grahaml

Return to How To Get "That Sound"