Vox MV-50 CLEAN amp

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Vox MV-50 CLEAN amp

Postby scmitche » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:19 pm

RUSSET wrote:
Hank2k wrote:I tried one of these when they first came out but I have 2 big issues with them.

For starters finding a 4 ohm cab is extremely hard as most are 8ohm, why they did this i have no idea but on an 8ohm cab they are too quiet for gigging use as it cuts down to 25w

Also the price i think is too high for what it is. The Katana 50 is an amp with speaker with effects much more versatile etc, there isn't a lot of weight difference and they are available for £163 so cheaper than one of these. For me the Katana wins hands down
I think these should be around £100 bracket same as the Orange Micro terror etc then they may have more appeal.

Hi Steve,
I believe, (not being an electrician) that you can get the 4 ohm resistance in a cab by having two 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel. Yes, I agree the Katana is the best , quality, value for money out there at present, by far. And ..... it's a BOSS product. Not sure how much the Vox MV-50 is at present, but give them a few more months & they will inevitably reduce in price, as most products do. The other consideration is the weight. At 1.1 lbs, you stick it in your guitar case. And .... even put it straight into the PA without any backline amp. After all it is basically a modelling pre-amp.

Tony.

It's not actually a modelling preamplifier. It uses two tiny triodes based on the old vacuum fluorescent display technology (made by Nutronics a division of Korg) so it is configured to sound like a Vox preamp, then as far as I understand it has a power amp similar to the Katana - a high effciency D class solid state switching type presumably voiced to sound as the EL84s whereas the Katana is voiced for EL34s.
Steve
scmitche

Full Real Name: Steve Mitchell

Postby Gruntfuttock » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:40 pm

Hi Dave. Having read your posts re the Vox MV50 Clean I decided to take a chance and buy one. I was able to play it for 15 minutes today and I must say I'm very impressed! I will have more time tomorrow and am looking forward to that.
I have a couple of questions which I hope you can advise me on.
Is it OK to run a ten foot speaker cable from the unit to my speaker? Is ordinary copper speaker wire OK? I can solder in the plugs myself.
I know I should listen myself - but difficult to play at a higher volume in my small music room. I have two speakers each one in a separate cabinet. Both are 12". 8 Ohm. One is a Celestion Vintage 30 and the other is a Celestian G12T 75.
Inyour opinion which speaker is best suited for Shads material?
All help and advice would be very much appreciated!
Regards Dave (Gruntfuttock)
Gruntfuttock

Full Real Name: David Michael Redknap

Postby dave robinson » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:28 am

It shouldn't matter about a ten foot speaker cable being used, but I can't comment about the speakers as I don't have either of those, but being what they are, each should do the job. Using a single 8ohm speaker will only give you 25 Watts of power, but using both in parallel will give you 50watts.
I've heard people use those speakers in Vox AC30s and they slways sound good. At the end of the day it's down to the player and set up. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Gruntfuttock » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:47 am

Hi Dave. Many thanks for your reply.
Regards Dave (gruntfuttock)
Gruntfuttock

Postby buckshot » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:30 pm

G'day Dave
I have a Magnum 44 "pocket sized" amp and a 30 watt Celestion Vintage speaker that sound great. How ever I like the fact that the new MV-50 has 2 more controls ,not just a volume as the magnum has. I am a ludite at all this Ohms stuff so would my speaker handle the MV-50 as it stands now or do I have to get another speaker. I play at the Brisbane Shads Club so it is a band situation. Will I have enough volume for that with the one 12' Celestion
Regards
Tom
buckshot

Postby Gruntfuttock » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:35 pm

Hi Tom. My Celestion is a 12" Vintage 30 8 ohm speaker it sounds great with the Vox MV 50 (Clean)
As I understand it a 4 ohm speaker will equal 50 watts. An 8 ohm speaker 25 watts and a 16 ohm speaker 16 watts.
So I imagine if your speaker is 8 ohms it should be a match for he Vox's 25 watts output.
Hope this helps.
Regards Dave (Gruntfuttock)
Last edited by Gruntfuttock on Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gruntfuttock

Postby dave robinson » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:42 pm

buckshot wrote:G'day Dave
I have a Magnum 44 "pocket sized" amp and a 30 watt Celestion Vintage speaker that sound great. How ever I like the fact that the new MV-50 has 2 more controls ,not just a volume as the magnum has. I am a ludite at all this Ohms stuff so would my speaker handle the MV-50 as it stands now or do I have to get another speaker. I play at the Brisbane Shads Club so it is a band situation. Will I have enough volume for that with the one 12' Celestion
Regards
Tom

I'm no expert on electronics either Tom, it's just stuff I picked up from others who know better, but if your 12" Celestion speaker is 8ohm, it will take the MV-50 OK and deliver 25 watts of lovely Vox tone. I tried my MV-50 with a single 12" @ 25 watts at our pub gig with the band and it was really good and plenty loud enough. The MV-50 CLEAN amp has bass, treble and volume controls. I chose this model over the MV-50 AC model that has gain, cut and volume controls, but acts like the AC30 as it gets dirty the harder you push it, but I didn't want that. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Hunt1967 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:14 am

Hi Dave
I recently picked up a Vox AC4TV, I had read some good reports and listened to some very good sound files however I jumped for this AC 4 TV very reasonable at £100 not considering the last two letters of the model.
It was when I tried to upgrade the amp with a line out that I was told it wasn’t quite suitable to the style of music I wanted it for, on closer inspection I found it not to have a gain knob, it does at low level sound ok, but I see at Richtone they have an MV50 on their second hand section, would this be a better option or should I look for a more suitable AC4.
You may have seen my post on Charlie’s site.
Thanks
Mickhunt
Sheffield
Hunt1967

Postby Gruntfuttock » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:22 pm

Hi Mick. Not sure which Dave you’re addressing your post to. What I can say is that I have the MV 50 Clean. I run into a Jensen Vintage P12NB8 8 Ohm 12inch speaker. I use a H&CSE an MXR 10 band EQ and a Tech21 Liverpool. I’m very satisfied with both the sound and volume produced. At a recent rehearsal with drums bass and keyboard and guitar I had the MV 50 on the middle output setting and about half volume and it was plenty loud enough.
I use a strat style guitar with Kinman Impersonator 54 V5 p/ups for Shads numbers and a PRS CE22 for a different band. Plenty of volume on both guitars
Regards Dave
Gruntfuttock

Previous

Return to Gear