Shadows celebrate 10 years on TV.

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Shadows celebrate 10 years on TV.

Postby Paul Childs » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:54 pm

I can remember back in 1968 The Shadows and I think Cliff as well, had a TV show celebrating 10 years. Is there any archive of this? I don't think it has been mentioned much over the years since and I can't find anything on You Tube. I remember the show at the time but not a lot of the details. I know Tony was there on drums instead of Brian and I think they used the green Burns.
Paul Childs

Re: Shadows celebrate 10 years on TV.

Postby AlanMcKillop » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:00 pm

They recorded two tv shows in 1968, Cliff at the Movies and After Ten Fella’s and I think you’re referring to the latter. There are very good quality repo’s of these shows and they certainly used to be available on YouTube.
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby iefje » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:03 pm

It was broadcasted on June 11th, 1968 and also featured The Shadows or rather Hank and Bruce playing and singing "Cool Water", which was issued on the 1994 Italian semi-bootleg CD "Dakota - The Classic Collection".
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby drakula63 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:05 pm

Yeah, it's called 'After Ten, Fellas...Ten'. I've got a copy on DVD somewhere, a bootleg from somewhere or other.

It's quite surreal in places, as an 'aged' Cliff and the Shadows look back on their lengthy career! Tony is indeed on drums, as I think Brian was ill with appendicitis or something at the time, and it's certainly odd to see him miming to '...Flingel Bunt'. Haven't seen it for a year or two but it is certainly an 'odditie' and well worth watching. I'm surprised it's not on youtube. The 'Monkees' sequence is funny.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Iain Purdon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:26 pm

Here are the YouTube links. The programme is up there in 4 sections.

Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Paul Childs » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:54 pm

Just watched it all, thanks Ian. I remember some of it from back then, nearly 50 years ago.
There was a TV version of Alladdin back in the 60s but I can't find anything on that one on You Tube, might not exist anymore.
Paul Childs

Postby iefje » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:36 pm

This footage includes, like many other TV and film material of the past which hasn't been released commercially, a tape/film counter through the image. Why is that? Have the ones who 'leaked' these recordings switched the tape/film counter on on purpose?
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:25 pm

Well most of it was pretty rubbish but it's still nice to see Cliff and the Shads, whatever the circumstances. (Actually, I did laugh at one of the jokes. Just the one.)

Did anyone notice the programme had been on for a full twenty minutes before the first ad break appeared? You don't get that these days!
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby drakula63 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:47 pm

iefje wrote:This footage includes, like many other TV and film material of the past which hasn't been released commercially, a tape/film counter through the image. Why is that? Have the ones who 'leaked' these recordings switched the tape/film counter on on purpose?

It's a Timecode which is usually there to denote the time at which the recording was made. I suspect that this master recording was made at 10 o'clock (probably a.m.). This must have been the time at which all the various elements were played 'live' as it were and the finished programme mixed together and recorded as one programme for broadcast. I think Timecodes were usually burnt into preview/review prints, with no way of removing them.

I'm sure that Ian can expand upon that or correct me if I'm wrong.
drakula63

Postby drakula63 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:51 pm

Uncle Fiesta wrote:Well most of it was pretty rubbish but it's still nice to see Cliff and the Shads, whatever the circumstances. (Actually, I did laugh at one of the jokes. Just the one.)

Did anyone notice the programme had been on for a full twenty minutes before the first ad break appeared? You don't get that these days!

I think you should admit to which joke you laughed at! :D

I thought the footage inside Abbey Road was good. Also the 'nightclub' footage where they played Movie it and Willie and the Hand-jive. Also liked the very different version of Do You Wanna Dance, that followed this.
drakula63

Next

Return to The Shadows