Lakeside 2018

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Lakeside 2018

Postby leosden » Wed May 16, 2018 12:00 pm

As already mentioned in 'The Lounge' Lakeside have confirmed that this year's Celebration of the Music of the Shadows will be on the 22nd September.
This is the 20th Anniversary of the original event staged by Bruce Welch, so let's make it a special occasion. It may just be the last opportunity to get
together with other fans of The Shadows and friends made over the years at Lakeside. Bands still being sorted and a question of keep checking the
Lakeside web site. Tickets already on sale. As usual we will be there on the 22nd.
See you the,
Juliette, Leo's Den :P
leosden

Full Real Name: Pat Read

Re: Lakeside 2018

Postby LONGPLAYER09 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:16 pm

Great!
LONGPLAYER09

Full Real Name: Mick Annis

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed May 16, 2018 4:42 pm

Sure, but the original Shadowmania event had Bruce Welch, Jet Harris, Licorice Locking, Alan Jones and Cliff Hall. Subsequent events brought in Tony Meehan, Brian Bennett, Mark Griffiths, Mo Foster and Warren Bennett: not to mention other well-known acts. Plus associate musicians whom we've come to admire over the years, such as the Rapiers and Phil Kelly. I'm not sure what Lakeside can offer 20 years on. If I heard Bruce and Brian were both going to be performing there, I'd happily go.

The other way to look at it is as a get-together of players and fans, which is also worth doing. But a different thing. Newcastle have just put on a great weekend of this kind and Scarborough will shortly follow suit.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby SJB » Thu May 17, 2018 10:12 am

I am a late starter as it were and through this site found the shadows clubs and now enjoy playing.
I first went to Lakeside two years ago - went last year and have booked to go this time.
Whilst none of the Shadows were there it was they were great weekends - an one is very grateful to the people that take the time to organise the event - including the Friday party night.

Whilst it is disappointing to some that the shads are not there - why not support the event? We are all getting older and clubs are finding it difficult as members are lost or unable to play.
Lets keep it going whilst we can!!!
SJB

Full Real Name: Stuart J Best

Postby leosden » Thu May 17, 2018 1:06 pm

If we get details of others appearing at Lakeside we will post details.
leosden

Full Real Name: Pat Read

Postby Geffers » Fri May 18, 2018 11:29 am

I too remember fondly the great Shadowmania events - we were lucky to have that all organised for us by Bruce for all those years, It was great actually being there and staying at the same hotel with all the ex Shadows that were invited there to play, and seeing all the tribute bands on the same bill.
All good things come to an end at some point - ( we are all not getting any younger ).
Are we all expecting too much from this event? We certainly have had the best years there after The Shadows Stopped releasing new albums ( plus 2 final tours ). Lakeside has always been a good venue and always a good weekend for Shads fans to meet.
If no Ex Shads go, what is it really about? Its about us... the fans of the Shads and there music, always worth turning up for in my book.
Geffers
Geffers

Full Real Name: Geoff Bearpark

Postby kipper » Sun May 20, 2018 10:19 pm

Geffers wrote:I too remember fondly the great Shadowmania events - we were lucky to have that all organised for us by Bruce for all those years, It was great actually being there and staying at the same hotel with all the ex Shadows that were invited there to play, and seeing all the tribute bands on the same bill.
All good things come to an end at some point - ( we are all not getting any younger ).
Are we all expecting too much from this event? We certainly have had the best years there after The Shadows Stopped releasing new albums ( plus 2 final tours ). Lakeside has always been a good venue and always a good weekend for Shads fans to meet.
If no Ex Shads go, what is it really about? Its about us... the fans of the Shads and there music, always worth turning up for in my book.

well said that man. peter
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Postby Syd62 » Mon May 21, 2018 8:36 pm

At the end of the day its all about the music. If groups are willing to give up their time to play the music we all love then i'll be there. There will be a time when it will come to and end no one will be playing this great sound of the Shadows. So carry on guys. Just the thought of hearing Shadows music makes my day.
Syd62

Full Real Name: Syd Langston

Postby padmat78 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:54 am

It is true that this event no longer has the same interest as the one he had when Bruce Welch was the organizer ...
padmat78

Postby Derek Misselbrook » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:04 am

padmat78 wrote:It is true that this event no longer has the same interest as the one he had when Bruce Welch was the organizer ...

You are correct in saying " this event no longer has the same interest as the one he had when Bruce Welch was the organizer...."
But let me say it still has a lot of interest and is still a great day out listening to great music and meeting old friends and looking through the music stall's looking to find that next CD to enjoy, I for one will be there along with a lot of others, even the chance of Bruce Welch popping by to see a few friends....Lakeside could of just stopped it after Bruce stopped, there a lot of us that are glad they never, so come on make the effort and come and enjoy the day... Remember...... "If you don't use it you lose it !! " :)
Derek W Misselbrook.
Derek Misselbrook

Full Real Name: Derek Misselbrook

Next

Return to The Shadows