Shadows Live at the BBC????

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Shadows Live at the BBC????

Postby bor64 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:55 pm

I was hoping for a decent live version of Apache, with Tony and Jet.
When they broadcast the Cliff&Shadows at the youth club with the princes, the boys are playing obviously FBI...but you hear a live version of Apache.
Never have I encounter a copy anywhere!
Hopefully on a future publishing....

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby iefje » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:08 am

bor64 wrote:I was hoping for a decent live version of Apache, with Tony and Jet.
When they broadcast the Cliff&Shadows at the youth club with the princes, the boys are playing obviously FBI...but you hear a live version of Apache.
Never have I encounter a copy anywhere!
Hopefully on a future publishing....

Cheers Rob

There actually is a BBC live version of "Apache" from 1960 (so with Jet and Tony) on the 2012 double CD "Let Me Tell You Baby...It's Called Rock 'N' Roll!", which was released by Rollercoaster Records. The same double album features BBC live versions of "Quatermasster's Stores", "Jet Black", "Driftin'" and "Guitar Boogie".
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby drakula63 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:41 am

I am wondering if there might be a volume 2 on the cards?

According to the list I have, Apache was recorded November 28th 1973 and broadcast on Saturday Club and the John Peel recordings included are (possibly therefore) minus this and Flingle Bunt, Dance On and Frightened City. Add to these the others just mentioned (and a few more besides) and there could easily be enough for a Vol 2.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Iain Purdon » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:45 am

bor64 wrote:I was hoping for a decent live version of Apache, with Tony and Jet.

I wonder what version has been used here. I was watching the footage again yesterday and it's Brian on drums. Further research places the Princess Margaret event in March 1962. However, it's always been odd because, as others have already said, they are clearly doing FBI and yet it's Apache rather clumsily dubbed onto the footage. Is it indeed the earlier live recording Ivo mentions above? Or did they play Apache at the time and use that recording? Unlikely because you'd expect to see the footage from that!

Somebody must know? :)
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby iefje » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:55 am

Rob refers to an early live version of "Apache" for BBC TV. If it's the version from the 1960 BBC radio sessions, I don't know. The forthcoming "Live At The BBC" album seems to be confined to BBC recordings made for BBC Radio, not for BBC TV.
iefje

Postby JimN » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:57 am

The first time I remember seeing the Princess Margaret footage was in October 1964.

Granada Television (grrr!), in the run-up to the 1964 General Election, broadcast a regional programme about the (then relatively unknown) Labour front bench. They called it "The Shadows" (obviously from Shadow Cabinet) and started the programme with that very film clip with a Brian Truman voice-over before launching into a canonisation of Wilson, Brown, Wedgwood-Benn, Healey, etc). I saw it with a Shadows-fan schoolfriend and we both surmised (incorrectly) that it was a clip from the 1961 or 1962 NME Pollwinners' Concert.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby drakula63 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:06 am

Not long now until this is released.

I see now that it is part of a series which also includes Dr. Feelgood, The Hollies and Gerry & The Pacemakers (Live at the BBC). I am even more intrigued now as it seems like a stroke of good luck that whoever initiated this series felt that the Shadows were worthy inclusions in the line-up. I still feel that, after the 20 plus years that various parties have been trying to make this happen, that there is a potentially interesting story behind its release.

I have a copy on order from Leo's Den, as I'm sure we all have, but my main question now is will I be able to resist the not inconsiderable temptation to go into town on Friday and see if it's in the shops? I ended up doing this with the' Sky: Anthology' CD/DVD a few years back and ended up with two copies (one opened, one unopened!).

We shall see...
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby iefje » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:10 pm

drakula63 wrote:Not long now until this is released.

I see now that it is part of a series which also includes Dr. Feelgood, The Hollies and Gerry & The Pacemakers (Live at the BBC). I am even more intrigued now as it seems like a stroke of good luck that whoever initiated this series felt that the Shadows were worthy inclusions in the line-up. I still feel that, after the 20 plus years that various parties have been trying to make this happen, that there is a potentially interesting story behind its release.

I have a copy on order from Leo's Den, as I'm sure we all have, but my main question now is will I be able to resist the not inconsiderable temptation to go into town on Friday and see if it's in the shops? I ended up doing this with the' Sky: Anthology' CD/DVD a few years back and ended up with two copies (one opened, one unopened!).

We shall see...

A spare copy is always useful in case one of the two becomes unreadable. ;)
iefje

Postby Moderne » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:03 pm

Apologies for interrupting my self-imposed exile from this site, but...does anyone know if there will be any 'banter' included in this release. The conversation between John Peel and Hank and Bruce in particular was quite funny, IIRC...
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:30 pm

Moderne wrote:Apologies for interrupting my self-imposed exile from this site, but...does anyone know if there will be any 'banter' included in this release. The conversation between John Peel and Hank and Bruce in particular was quite funny, IIRC...

I don't know, Clive, but welcome back!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows