The Shads, Cliff and Lady Penelope

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

The Shads, Cliff and Lady Penelope

Postby shadowriter » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:21 pm

Just looking for Ike Isaacs guitar version of Nocturne in eflat on you tube and up came a clip of Lady Penelope at the Shooting Star club with Cliff and the Shadows playing shooting star. Such a funny clip, it really cracked me up although I'm probably the only one who has never seen it before, a definate bookmark for when I need a smile.
Does anyone know the little bits that the shads play?

Norman
shadowriter

Full Real Name: Norman Johnson

Re: The Shads, Cliff and Lady Penelope

Postby drakula63 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:33 pm

The tune they play is 'Lady Penelope' - to be featured on the forthcoming CD 'The Shadows Live at the BBC'. Albeit an alternative version.

We also hear the Thunderbirds theme, but I don't think this is actually the Shads version, although it sounds close.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby flingelbunt » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:42 pm

They back Cliff Junior or 'Son of Cliff '(?) on a number the Shadows wrote called 'Shooting Star'. All a bit twee really, but 'Lady Penelope' is a typical tune of that period. The EP features the Shadows playing the Thunderbirds Theme and Zero X but I don't think these were used in the film version. I'll get me anorak and exeunt stage left..........
flingelbunt

Postby iefje » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:24 am

In the film, they are billed as 'Cliff Richard Jnr. and The Sons Of The Shadows'. Their own compositions "Lady Penelope" (by The Shadows) and "Shooting Star" (by Cliff Richard & The Shadows) are performed by them in the film. Incidentally, the version of "Lady Penelope" in the film is edited and also omits Hank's second lead guitar part. The film version of "Shooting Star" is a somewhat different mix, compared to the EP version.
The Shadows' instrumental versions of "Thunderbirds Theme" and "Zero X Theme" only feature on the EP, while the film features Barry Gray's original orchestral arrangements of the two themes.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby iefje » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:57 am

By the way, I think the puppet of John Rostill looks a little bit like the one of Virgil Tracy.
iefje

Postby iefje » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:04 am

Yesterday, I received a copy of the Blu-Ray "Thunderbirds Are Go!", which among the special features includes the test footage of Cliff & The Shadows. It runs for 17 minutes and starts with a front camera view of Cliff & The Shadows performing "Shooting Star". Then, the same track is heard for the close-up shots of Hank, then Brian, then Bruce and finally John. In total, "Shooting Star" is played five times. At the end, Hank, Bruce and John can be seen miming to a snippet of "Lady Penelope". The version of "Shooting Star" is different to the EP version, as it starts with Hank's count-in and the sound mix brings Cliff's vocals more to the front as well as Brian's (overdubbed?) drum sound during the choruses. The snippet of "Lady Penelope" comes from the same version as used in the film, which omits Hank's second lead guitar part. Also, a separate videoclip of "Shooting Star" is included, which combines various of the above mentioned shots.
iefje

Postby iefje » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:59 pm

There is another great feature I found on the aforementioned Blu-Ray edition of the film. One of the extras is an isolated sound track of just the film music, so when The Shadows and then Cliff & The Shadows come onto the screen, just their music is heard, no dialogue or sound effects. This means the edited and undubbed film version of "Lady Penelope" can be heard on its own as well as Cliff & The Shadows' "Shooting Star". However, the lead and backing vocals have been treated as dialogue, so "Shooting Star" is presented only by The Shadows' backing track!
iefje

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:15 pm

Don't knock it Ivo, you now have another backing track for your collection.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Return to The Shadows