Geoff Barker's 60th Anniversary tribute programme

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Geoff Barker's 60th Anniversary tribute programme

Postby Keith Bateman » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:41 am

An excellent tribute show by Geoff Barker last night in the BBC South and West area last night.

Here are his notes:

On Sir Cliff`s 78th birthday, we mark that and the 60th Anniversary of Cliff and the Drifters/Shadows teaming up for the very first time.
Classic hits, b-sides, rarities and some live tracks.
PLUS! From my own interview archive, Cliff, Hank, Bruce... and Jet, talking about their early days and how it all started for them.

Hear it on iPlayer here https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/p06m0kth and scroll to 57 minutes in.

Cliff speaks with pride about the band's influence in the early days and how good they were.

Geoff is a big fan and produces a great weekly rock 'n' roll show with his vast knowledge and professionalism.
Keith Bateman

Full Real Name: Keith Bateman

Re: Geoff Barker's 60th Anniversary tribute programme

Postby Tab » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:02 pm

An excellent programme. Thanks for posting the link.

I've always been a huge fan of those early Cliff numbers. The raw energy and the band was so tight with those superb Jet Harris strolling bass lines. The 'Me and My Shadows' album is my all time favourite Cliff album.
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Postby StuartD » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:55 pm

Great Programme.

I too have always been a big fan of the early 60's Cliff stuff. The band had a great energy about them, both with Cliff and on their own. Listen to Kon Tiki and the other tracks from Paris in early 1962 or the entire Live at Kingston Album. Good to hear the interviews too. Thanks for sharing

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby johnc » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:13 am

Indeed!

Last weekend, my band did three gigs in a row..Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday afternoon...the Friday evening gig was a 50th wedding anniversary, and the 'bride' and her group of lady friends were all huge Cliff and Shadows fans...

We played some Shads numbers during two sets of our usual rock'n'roll music (1955-1962) as we always do, but we played a whole set of about 50 minutes of just early Cliff and Shadows material especially to suit! Lots of energy and the 'girls'' loved it, singing along and dancing madly!

Satisfied customers! :D
johnc

Return to The Shadows