Burns SSJ model

For any discussion specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Burns SSJ model

Postby RUSSET » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:25 pm

Just seen what looks like a new version of the Short Scale Jazz guitar by Burns , played on Youtube by Dave Simpson :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OsypdRLaY8 Not a Shads player, of course.

Tony.
RUSSET

Re: Burns SSJ model

Postby dave robinson » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:40 am

Now I’d buy one of those. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby johnc » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:58 am

Some good sounds there...if it plays nice neck wise and stays in tune, it would be a good gigging guitar...sort of Telecaster alternative...wonder how much they cost to buy?
johnc

Postby RUSSET » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:43 am

I believe they are around the £300 mark. They don't seem to appear on the regular Burns website though, so I don't know how it works.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby balston11 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:49 pm

Here's one for sale not very expensive at all
http://www.rockfactory.co.uk/proddetail ... sjazzwhite
Bill
see my guitar website www.alston-family.co.uk
balston11

Full Real Name: William Alston

Postby balston11 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:52 pm

RUSSET wrote:I believe they are around the £300 mark. They don't seem to appear on the regular Burns website though, so I don't know how it works.

Tony.

Surely you don't expect the Burns web site to be remotely up to date, that would be too much like communication not their strong point
Bill
see my guitar website www.alston-family.co.uk
balston11

Full Real Name: William Alston

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:02 pm

I rather wish you hadn't shown me that! I bought a Flying V after seeing Dave Simpson playing one.

He's an awesome guitar player, even if he tends not to use the sort of sounds we're going for.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby RUSSET » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:38 pm

Yes, I have been watching Dave Simpson's videos for many months now. He is very talented, & very funny too. He posts 3-4 times a week & demos lots of guitars, amps & pedals etc. He has great respect for Katana amps, of which he has a 50w combo, & also Revelation guitars. The manufacturers seem to send him lots of samples to review. OK, he's not playing our style of music, because he's half our age, but his natural talent is obvious. He very rarely uses valve amps, & swears by Katanas, Marshall MG stacks , Orange CR series, & Peavy Bandits. I have watched him make the cheapest Squier Strat sound like Hendrix himself is playing for you. Keep an eye on him for some very entertaining videos, & tips.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby Gatwick1946 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:22 am

Very interesting-not an artist or model of Burns I am familiar with.

I would like to try, but I probably would not buy. I should like to have a close look at the bridge design and check out the pickup/controls combinations.

A talented guitarist, but not too original (but then who is?).

Kindest regards,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Postby johnc » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:46 pm

It struck me after I posted a comment previously that I had something similar years ago..

It wasn't a Burns, but a handmade solid body guitar which the drummer in my band built for me..

I had acquired a nice new fretted bound fingerboard from somewhere, and had some Burns TriSonic pickups from my old Burns Artist which I had pulled apart.

He made a small bodied set neck or neck-through guitar (can't remember which!) using the Burns pickups with an adjustable bridge, stop tailpiece and just simple master volume and tone controls and a pickup selector switch...It was a nice little guitar and I used it for gigging and general playing for a few years...

I presume this new model is simply a modern re-issue of the original early '60's base model Short scale Jazz guitar (two pickup, whereas the posher model had three pickups).

As I said before, this new one looks and sounds good, but this old age pensioner couldn't afford the 600 or 700 Aussie dollars it would probably cost here down under! :)
johnc

Next

Return to Burns