I Didn't Know This

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

I Didn't Know This

Postby artyman » Mon May 13, 2019 5:27 pm

Someone on a Blues forum I frequent just sent me this message, not something I was aware of.

I recently became aware that Jimmy Page had played on Diamonds by Jet Harris and Tony Meehan . . .
"The very first recording session that Jimmy Page was ever enlisted to perform on was for this instrumental song by former Shadows bassist Jet Harris. At the time, Page was still trying to make his way as a student at Sutton Art College around his hometown of Surrey. He took a gig playing guitar at the Marquee Club near downtown London, when he began receiving offers to bring his noticeable talents into the recording studio.

While Harris, accompanied by his fellow Shadows bandmate Tony Meehan on drums, handles the electric-guitar parts with a Fender Jaguar, Page can be heard ripping away underneath, keeping the rhythm steady on an acoustic. When "Diamonds" debuted in January, 1963, the single stunned nearly everyone by hitting Number One in the U.K. just a month later. It would go on to hold that position for three consecutive weeks. Almost overnight, Page became a heavily in-demand commodity in the studio world."

I saw an interview with Hank and Bruce in which Hank spoke about Page laying down harmonica tracks on some early Shadows tune
artyman

Full Real Name: Ken Gillam

Re: I Didn't Know This

Postby drakula63 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:52 am

Jimmy Page played harmonica on the Ivor Novello Award winning Cliff and the Shadows song "Time Drags By".
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby iefje » Wed May 15, 2019 2:46 pm

I'm not certain about this, but Jimmy Page could also have played harmonica on the Cliff Richard & The Shadows track "Hey Doctor Man", which was recorded almost six months after "Time Drags By".
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby dave robinson » Thu May 16, 2019 12:09 am

As a point of interest, on the tracks ‘Scarlet O’hara’ and ‘Applejack’ it has been well documented that Joe Moretti was paid by Jet to play lead guitar whilst Jet was in the pub.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Return to The Shadows