BOSS Katana amps-the next best thing?

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: BOSS Katana amps-the next best thing?

Postby Gruntfuttock » Fri May 24, 2019 1:43 pm

Hank2k wrote:Any one interested Guitar Guitar have a 50w model here for just £129

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/ ... -pre-owned

I see they are sold out now.
Dave
Gruntfuttock

Full Real Name: David Michael Redknap

Postby Hank2k » Fri May 24, 2019 2:34 pm

It was just one second hand one they had. Someone got a bargain
Hank2k

Postby dave robinson » Fri May 24, 2019 9:55 pm

I got rid of my Katana combos because of the harshness that sometimes prevails, which is down to the cabinet and budget speaker, or speakers. The new Katana Artist has a lovely warmth to it and I was made aware of this and investigated in search of an explanation. I first disconnected my speakers and paired my Katana 100 with a 1 x 12 Mesa Boogie cabinet and then a 2 x 12 A30 type cabinet, albeit with neodymium speakers in each, Celestions in the Vox and an Eminence Lil Texas in the Boogie. Each of them were a vast improvement on the same settings that I regularly use, so I decided that I would go or a 100 watt head and at the same time lighten the load. The Katana Artist is equipped with two extra knobs for cabinet simulation and live, but these are in the software. I’m convinced that the Artist is the same amp with a better speaker in a better quality cabinet - for £250 more. Also, they don’t make an ‘Artist’ head which leads me to believe that this is the case.
I also suspect that Boss have realised the amp is capable of better sounds through quality speaker and quality cabinet after complaints that some folks made about harshness at higher volume. I got that snippet from a dealer after I mentioned it and he pushed the Katana Artist in front of me.
Anyway the problem is no more as I have the Boogie 1x12 (the Vox is 4 ohms) so I bought an 8 ohm Fender 2x10 that I tried last night and sounds lovely.
I will say that only at band levels did I get the harshness, but it bothered me enough to do something about it.
The good news is, the Katana 2 x 12 went within half an hour of hitting eBay for almost what it cost me, so it’s happy days. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Fri May 24, 2019 10:11 pm

dave robinson wrote:I got rid of my Katana combos because of the harshness that sometimes prevails, which is down to the cabinet and budget speaker, or speakers. The new Katana Artist has a lovely warmth to it and I was made aware of this and investigated in search of an explanation. I first disconnected my speakers and paired my Katana 100 with a 1 x 12 Mesa Boogie cabinet and then a 2 x 12 A30 type cabinet, albeit with neodymium speakers in each, Celestions in the Vox and an Eminence Lil Texas in the Boogie. Each of them were a vast improvement on the same settings that I regularly use, so I decided that I would go or a 100 watt head and at the same time lighten the load. The Katana Artist is equipped with two extra knobs for cabinet simulation and live, but these are in the software. I’m convinced that the Artist is the same amp with a better speaker in a better quality cabinet - for £250 more. Also, they don’t make an ‘Artist’ head which leads me to believe that this is the case.
I also suspect that Boss have realised the amp is capable of better sounds through quality speaker and quality cabinet after complaints that some folks made about harshness at higher volume. I got that snippet from a dealer after I mentioned it and he pushed the Katana Artist in front of me.
Anyway the problem is no more as I have the Boogie 1x12 (the Vox is 4 ohms) so I bought an 8 ohm Fender 2x10 that I tried last night and sounds lovely.
I will say that only at band levels did I get the harshness, but it bothered me enough to do something about it.
The good news is, the Katana 2 x 12 went within half an hour of hitting eBay for almost what it cost me, so it’s happy days. :)

Roger Busby from our club had a Katana 100w combo. He stripped the amp section out and put it into a head style cabinet he built. He runs it through Celestion blue cab he has and sounds great. Tend to agree with what you said Dave and they say the speaker is a large part of the sound.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby dave robinson » Fri May 24, 2019 10:54 pm

That’s interesting Roger, do the Celestions handle the 100 watts OK ?
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby RogerCook » Fri May 24, 2019 11:28 pm

I don't think the Katana is really 100 watts. They don't specify how the wattage is measured so I doubt it is RMS. The input power is only 77w! I've built mine into an AC30 cab with the Katana 2x12 speakers and it doesn't sound any different.I've been reluctant to try it with my blue speakers though.
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby Gruntfuttock » Sat May 25, 2019 1:17 am

Hi Dave. An interesting post - especially where you write that the Artist might be the same amp but an upgraded cabinet and speaker! I use my Katana Head through a 1 x 12 using a Jensen P12NB (Which you recommended some time ago) The combination sounds great and I’m very pleased with it.
As we all know - the amp is truly an amazing piece of kit and so versatile. I have a small gig tonight and this will be the first time I use it live - as opposed to in my very small music room.
Dave
Gruntfuttock

Full Real Name: David Michael Redknap

Postby roger bayliss » Sat May 25, 2019 9:17 am

dave robinson wrote:That’s interesting Roger, do the Celestions handle the 100 watts OK ?

He uses on the 50 watt setting mostly and has no problem with that. Dont think hes had it flat out like say you would in a large venue. As always solid state wattage quotes are much lower than valve amps as well. He has used it at our club okay several times too.

Incidently a company called Warehouse Guitar Speakers do a high power version of the Blue Celestion as do Weber , but they do sound different to my ears. Seems the more power handling the less they sound like the real deal. The Celestion Golds are nowhere near the same sound either.

But the Blues can handle a lot more than 15 watts , probably around 30 watts without issues.

I would also add that the max wattage would only be achieved with the gain up full and volume maxed which is not going to be half of that in clean or low gain usage for old style 60s stuff.
Last edited by roger bayliss on Sat May 25, 2019 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
roger bayliss

Postby roger bayliss » Sat May 25, 2019 9:38 am

https://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=3115

Watford valves do these, this is the Classic version, but have heard the Vintage one in a AC15 at club , quite good , but this one is allegedly similar to Celestion Blue.

Quite cheap and hand built. Might be worth a punt ?
roger bayliss

Postby roger bayliss » Sat May 25, 2019 10:05 am

https://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=5747

Another higher power Blue sounding speaker by Celestion 35 watts
roger bayliss

PreviousNext

Return to Gear