Stetsbar

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Stetsbar

Postby C-C » Fri May 31, 2019 2:32 pm

Hi,
I am thinking of fitting a Stetsbar (SCCC) to one of my Stratocasters,
Saw a vid on utube they look ok.
I seem to remember one of our members mentioning that they used one on a Stratocaster,
If anyone has used a Stetsbar, can they let me a know if they are a good Tremolo unit for Shads numbers.
Regards
Carl.
C-C

Full Real Name: Carl Craig

Re: Stetsbar

Postby dave robinson » Fri May 31, 2019 3:42 pm

Hi Carl, I have Stetsbars on my LesPaul, 335 and a Telecaster.They are fabulous pieces of engineering and those instruments benefit greatly from my point of view.
That said, I would never consider using one on any of my Strats - why ? Because the Strat tremolo system when set up correctly is all you’d ever need on that type of instrument. The people that seem to want to change them are generally dis-satisfied with the way it works, usually because of a poor set up.
My PRS and G&L guitars feature their own take on the Strat design, not forgetting that Leo Fender of G&L invented and improved it. My Warmouth based Custom Strat for which I selected all the parts, has a Wilkinson WVS50 Strat trem fitted, very similar to the original design but with improvements, because I had tried and liked it.
Two other massive considerations have to be the aesthetics, as the Stetsbar is a big lump, as well as Hank’s continued proven work using it. All he has done to try and improve it, is use the Brian May idea of cranking the bar into what for me is an ugly look, although on the BM guitars it looks good, as it isn’t useful to me at all. OK some will say it enables better damping, but for me it has never been an issue.
I’d like to add that I have a Les Paul, 335 and an SG, as well as those with the Stetsbar, but with Bigsby’s in place. I enjoy all of them and don’t have issues with any of those, but the Burns Marvin one is always in the way and I hate it.
I hope this helps you make a choice. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby C-C » Fri May 31, 2019 4:12 pm

Thanks Dave,
Most of my Strat Trems are ok and I am happy with them, they are all vintage 6 screw anchor type.
But my 08 Strat Deluxe which has 12s on and the two point trem sys,When playing the slower ballads
that need more expression I can't get comfortable with so I was wondering about the Stetsbar.
I have a Wilkinson WVS50 on a Classis 50 FSR Strat and that is very good with 11s but that is with the 6 screw anchor type.
Just not happy with the 2 point trem so rather than changing the two to a 6 thought the Stetsbar was a solution without damaging
the Deluxe.
Regards
Carl.
C-C

Postby dave robinson » Fri May 31, 2019 5:43 pm

OK Carl you seem to know what you’re talking about, the Stestsbar would indeed do the job on a Strat as few people have done it. You might find some examples on You Tube and may reinforce your justification to do this, like I said they are a great piece of kit, it can’t fail to impress if fitted correctly. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby C-C » Fri May 31, 2019 7:06 pm

Hi Dave,
Once again thanks for your experience in replying to questions.
Coincidentally while I was rummaging in my collection I found a SX Vtg,
and after your posting have moved back in my studio.
Regards
Carl.
C-C

Postby negninegaw » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:11 pm

I have a Stetsbar Pro II (LP Style) (black) for sale; 120 Euro.
negninegaw

Full Real Name: Van Wageningen

Postby C-C » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:50 am

Hi,
I fitted the Stetsbar to one of my US Fender deluxe guitars and managed to set it up with the micro tilt.
The trem action is excellent and enjoyed using it.
The only fault was the bridge radius, I think its more suited to the Gibsons.
Also the height of the bridge sets, the pickups to string measurement with a bit of gap even when the pickups adjustment are at their highest.
But overall a good unit.
Looking at my previous post I stated a had put a WVS50 on my Classic 50 fsr Strat but I had fitted the WVP6. (senior moment)
I have removed the Stetsbar and fitted a WV50 which Dave mentioned and that's the one I am using now.
Wished I had fitted it first.
Regards
Carl.
C-C

Postby Didier » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:03 am

For Strats, there an upgrade trem unit of very clever design, it's the BladeRunner by Super-Vee, but it's rather expensive.
https://super-vee.com/products/tremolo- ... aderunner/

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Return to Gear