which amp

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: which amp

Postby bor64 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:26 pm

Hi Dave,

Always the normal channel indeed, that's what Hank told me too, multiple times!
That's why I was so surprised somebody wrote he used the TB channel on the JMI on the 2009 tour....

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby dave robinson » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:22 am

It is crystal clear to me now I understand the mixing desk and it's capabilities, that by using the normal channel and miking up the Vox AC30, by using the High Pass & Low Pass filters, you can achieve the Abbey Road tone that we hear on those records. The EQ on the reverb is also big part of the sound, again it's those filters and how they are applied.
The people using gadgets and graphic equalisers are achieving a degree of success emulating what I'm describing, but the easy way is as described. It's all about tone and not echo. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby fenderplucker » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:27 am

Seems strange that the top boost add-on was originally developed, reportedly at Hank's request, to address the loss of gain when Vox changed from the EF86 pentode in the front end of the AC30/4 to the 12AX7 in the AC30/6, and also to provide some "Fender-like" tone controls.

I have never seen Hank use the normal channel on his AC30 in the studio.

Paul.
fenderplucker

Full Real Name: Paul Rossiter

Postby roger bayliss » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:14 am

What is done in the studio and what is done in a live situation is bound to differ though. I use the Top Boost a lot myself with EQ to tame it.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby dave robinson » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:24 am

I never rated the tone controls on a Vox Top Boost to be anywhere near as effective or musically useful when compared to those of a Fender amp. I began with an AC30/6 in 1964 a had a Top Boost in 1967 and the difference was noticeable, prompting me to go Fender after then. My main amp for over fifteen years was the Twin Reverb that in order to sound anything like The Shadows had to be used with no Treble, no Bass and loads of Mid. I think the JBL speakers contributed to that scenario.
I know that I didn't know a lot about amps and how they worked back then and just tried to do the best that I could by experimenting. After briefly going with a Sessionette 75 that became troublesome, I bought a Mesa Boogie Mk3.
These are great tonal amps and I still have a Mk3 as well as a DC-5 n my collection, from which I can get satisfactory Shadows tones when needed. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:28 pm

If you look at known rock users of AC30s you will find that most have used the normal channel together with a booster. Typically treble boosters including Brian May, Rory Gallagher and Richie Blackmore. I think Bryan Adam's went for that type of sound as well. Some boosters have bass roll off in circuit design and the tube screamers too.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby Ian Miller » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:41 pm

I had an AC30/6 in the 1960’s and later fitted the top boost add on to the back. My band mate bought an AC30 Top Boost about the same time and both amps sounded completely different to each other. Mine was much warmer sounding and had much more tonal variation.

Ian
Ian Miller

Full Real Name: Ian Miller

Postby dave robinson » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:25 pm

That's interesting Ian, I too experienced something along those lines with a couple of Voxes at that time. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Previous

Return to Gear