Top of the Pops - 19 June 1975

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Top of the Pops - 19 June 1975

Postby drakula63 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:51 pm

I wonder if this edition of TOTP is still in existence or has, as I suspect, been wiped? Any ideas...?

Thursday 19th June 1975

BBC1 Top Of The Pops 7:10 - 7:40 pm

Hosted by Tony Blackburn

Windsor Davis and Don Estelle - Whispering Grass (repeat)

Mud - Moonshine Sally

The Shadows - Run Billy Run

Dana - Are You Still Mad At Me

Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel - Mr Raffles (live vocal)

Retta Young - Sending Out An S.O.S.

Hamilton Bohannon - Disco Stomp (Pan's People)

Nazareth - My White Bicycle

Johnny Nash - Tears On My Pillow
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: Top of the Pops - 19 June 1975

Postby jim w » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:29 am

Wiped Chris
jim w

Full Real Name: Jim Walters

Postby drakula63 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:42 am

Ta,

I suspected it would have been. Such a shame. The BBC need talking to! So we know for sure now that all the TOTP performances of Let Me Be the One and now Run Billy Run are gone.

Oh well. At least they've still got all the 1960s appearances. Oh, hang on...
drakula63

Postby jim w » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:34 am

Run Billy Run The Shadows with Cliff on the Jimmy Saville show has not been wipe but we have very little chance of seeing that. I can remember the Shads performance on TOTP
jim w

Full Real Name: Jim Walters

Postby drakula63 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:14 pm

jim w wrote:Run Billy Run The Shadows with Cliff on the Jimmy Saville show has not been wipe but we have very little chance of seeing that. I can remember the Shads performance on TOTP

Yeah, I'm aware of that. It was 19 July 1975. I bet someone out there recorded it on video, but, as you say, anything featuring Savile is never likely to be shown - although assuming that he is not seen during the Shads/Cliff clip, no reason why this couldn't be.
drakula63

Postby Hank2k » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:40 pm

There is a strong chance this has been recorded by someone. We are currently going through a lot of Dads old video tapes and there are a lot of Top Of The Pops episodes he recorded in the 70s so you never know.
Hank2k

Postby JimN » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:14 pm

There wasn't much UK home-video-taping of programmes in 1975.

Apart from monochrome and labour intensive Sony reel-to-reel machines available from the late 1960s onward, the only practical machine available was the Philips N1500 which had a max recording time of one hour on a cassette and was not only very expensive, but so were the tapes. It did, on the other hand, record from UHF and in colour.

I'd put the start of the home video revolution as no earlier than 1978 (when VHS came onto the UK market). I got my first (rented) machine in 1979 and at that time, the only other video-recorder I'd ever encountered was at the university library.

It isn't impossible that someone was recording for posterity in 1975, but whether they were committing Top Of The Pops to archive tape at £30 a pop (equal to about £240 today) is doubtful, to say the least.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby drakula63 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:02 pm

Fingers crossed then!

I remember one of the first video recorders I ever saw. It would have been around 1976 and was bought by some well-to-do friends, whose dad was an insurance salesman. The first thing I ever saw recorded off-air was Thunderbirds! The second thing was The Six Million Dollar Man. I remember the tapes were mega expensive. My dad was a Headmaster at the time and I remember his school had one too. I always looked at it with awe and hoped we could borrow it one day. We never did. Of course very few people were making home video recordings in 1975, but there were a few - and possibly a few more than you would imagine. Yeah, it's unlikely, but anyone recording TOTP in the 1970s just MIGHT have got it.

As I say... fingers crossed!
drakula63

Postby russ » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:41 pm

There is a chance the chap who invented his own TV recording system might have recorded it. They have just found "The Dreams I Dream" too. Only recently they could playback his recordings, I know they found an early Elton John and T-Rex performances amongst his archive. So you never know what might turn up!
russ

Full Real Name: Russell Smith

Return to The Shadows