New vinyl releases of five Hank Marvin solo albums

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

New vinyl releases of five Hank Marvin solo albums

Postby iefje » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:10 am

On Friday August 30th, there will be new releases of Hank's solo albums from 1982's "Words And Music" to 1995's "Hank Plays Cliff", all on 180-gram red vinyl. "Words And Music", "All Alone With Friends" and "Into The Light" originally appeared on vinyl, but "Heartbeat" and "Hank Plays Cliff" were originally only issued on CD and cassette. Because of the length of the albums, "Into The Light" , "Heartbeat" and "Hank Plays Cliff" will be issued as double LP's for better sound quality. I wonder if any of Hank's later albums will also be issued on vinyl, as those originally also only received a release on CD and some on cassette: "Hank Plays Holly", "Hank Plays Live", "Hank Marvin And The Shadows Play The Music Of Andrew Lloyd-Webber And Tim RIce", "Marvin At The Movies", "Guitar Player", "Guitar Man" and "Django's Castle". So far, Hank's first five Polydor albums have been reissued the most. Also, maybe Demon Music will also re-release The Shadows albums from the Polydor era on vinyl. "At Their Very Best" has already had such treatment.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Re: New vinyl releases of five Hank Marvin solo albums

Postby anniv 63 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:30 am

Assume in the U.K. they will be getting retailed through the volume outlet potential of
Asda, Tesco Sainsbury etc to pick up possible casual buyers?
I still think vinyl is being overhyped in general and not being on most pensioners shopping lists
these days, but if the BBC sessions merit a limited issue in LP format, somebody has figured out
a demand somewhere?
Probably Beatles Abbey Road vinyl sold a few extra copies this week.

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby drakula63 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:33 am

Interesting. To be honest, I'd be more interested in a good, new CD release of 'The Hank Marvin Guitar Syndicate', as opposed to the See For Miles version which is long since deleted and had a strange hybrid front cover image.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby leosden » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:59 pm

We are stocking these and keeping tabs on sales and hope to work closely with Demon on future releases...........we just have to keep 'pushing'.
leosden

Full Real Name: Pat Read

Postby JimN » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:03 pm

drakula63 wrote:Interesting. To be honest, I'd be more interested in a good, new CD release of 'The Hank Marvin Guitar Syndicate', as opposed to the See For Miles version which is long since deleted and had a strange hybrid front cover image.

"Guitar Syndicate" is still a Warner (ex-EMI) copyright, I think. It's not likely that Demon would be able to acquire the rights. But Tim Chacksfield might be interested...
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby bgohara » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:26 pm

drakula63 wrote:Interesting. To be honest, I'd be more interested in a good, new CD release of 'The Hank Marvin Guitar Syndicate', as opposed to the See For Miles version which is long since deleted and had a strange hybrid front cover image.

On my copy of the See For Miles Vinyl issue, someone had scratched 'take it hank' on the blank piece of vinyl just outside the label (I presume this was on all copies?)
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby drakula63 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:04 pm

bgohara wrote:

On my copy of the See For Miles Vinyl issue, someone had scratched 'take it hank' on the blank piece of vinyl just outside the label (I presume this was on all copies?)

Yeah, people often scratch little messages into the runoff. I'm sure everyone knows the famous story of Bruce Welch and, I think, Miss You Nights...
drakula63

Postby bgohara » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:01 am

drakula63 wrote:
bgohara wrote:

Yeah, people often scratch little messages into the runoff. I'm sure everyone knows the famous story of Bruce Welch and, I think, Miss You Nights...

I may have heard this story before - remind me, Chris?
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby drakula63 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:02 pm

I've just dug out my 'I'm Nearly Famous' LP.

In the run-off on side 1, someone has scratched FOR KIPPER
In the run-off on side 2, someone has scratched WHO'S KIPPER !

I believe the phantom scratcher was Bruce. You'll have to ask him what it means!
drakula63

Postby Moderne » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:01 pm

I remember reading that 'Kipper' was Bruce's nickname for his girlfriend - Lynne, and that he wasn't going to reveal why!
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Next

Return to The Shadows