fender mexican standard

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

fender mexican standard

Postby Hankfan » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:02 pm

Are these fenders any good for playing Shadows tracks ? there are obviously that many models of fender strats. I just wondered if this one would be suitable for the purpose? I am considering buying one.
Hankfan

Full Real Name: Mr Ronald Paterson

Re: fender mexican standard

Postby Stu's Dad » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:35 pm

Fenders are the obvious choice for playing Shadows music. I've got, among others, a Mexican Standard Strat and a Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat, and both sound great through a Vox Valvetronix and a Vox AC4.

Len
Last edited by Stu's Dad on Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby artyman » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:34 pm

I have a couple of Mexican Strats, nice instruments, and with the right echo sound great. I use Boss Katana 50, utilising the in-built echo options through the tone studio can get a good sound as well as with a Blue Nebula pedal.
artyman

Full Real Name: Ken Gillam

Postby Hankfan » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:07 pm

Thanks Guys , I bought it, I have tried it out and it is Brilliant
Hankfan

Postby RUSSET » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:32 am

Hi Ron,
Have you bought the 'old' Mex Standard Strat, or the new version of it, which has subtle differences ? The latest version is called the 'Player series' Strat. This version now has Alnico magnet pickups, a Fender USA Standard Strat bridge & trem block & a tone control which covers the bridge pickup as well as the middle one.
I'm sure the old Mex Standard is still a great guitar for the price, but the new detail on the Player may give the subtle differences required for giving a typical '60s Shads sound. Also for a little extra the even newer Mex 'Vintera' series may give an even closer sound, as they are based on the old 'Classic' series.

Hope I haven't confused you too much, & in the end, if you are happy with the one you have bought, that is what matters.

Regards, Tony.
RUSSET

Postby Hankfan » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:45 am

Hi Tony, the one i bought is a 2017 model, it sounds great, Thanks for your information. I think for 300 pounds with a soft carry case was a great price. it looks like it has never been used. I am very happy with it.
Hankfan

Postby RUSSET » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:36 am

Hi Ron,
That's great. If you like it, that's all that matters. The reason I mentioned it was because I bought a 'Player' series Strat about six months back, & was very impressed with it. The main difference is the Alnico v. the ceramic pickup magnets. You would find that yours are a little hotter (louder) than my version. Great guitars, great value, & you got yourself a bargain.
:-D
Best Regards, Tony.
RUSSET

Postby RUSSET » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:59 pm

Hi Ron,
I have replied to your PM message via the same route.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:32 pm

The Mexican Standard is a nice guitar, but you really need to replace the pickups. Those distortion blokes like them because the ceramic magnets give them more power, but those of us who like a bit of tone will choose alnicos every time.

(I'm at a loss to understand why the Standard has ceramics, when the cheaper Squier Classic Vibe is fitted with alnicos.)

I have by the way, had some success with Squier and similar pickups, by prising the magnet off the bottom, pushing out the steel polepieces, and replacing them with alnico slugs, but I'm yet to try it with Fender MIM Standard pups.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby chaddman » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:50 pm

Hi All,
Those ceramic magnets on the MIM strat are glued on big time. You could always get a set of Alnico V from China. I have had good results with Belcat at £14.00 and an Alnico V loaded pick guard for under £17.00. The loaded pick guard pickups were slightly hotter than I would have liked but I just lowered them a touch. Your Fender ceramic pickups are worth a lot more than you will spend on chinese Alnico V pickups.
Cheers Phil. ;)
chaddman

Full Real Name: Phil Holmes

Return to Gear