Apache - with all the wrong gear, now on YouTube

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Apache - with all the wrong gear, now on YouTube

Postby Ian Miller » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:39 pm

Thanks Dave.
Just played it and I have to it’s remarkably good, I’m very impressed all round.

Ian
Ian Miller

Full Real Name: Ian Miller

Postby dave robinson » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:51 pm

Thanks Ian, I was impressed too which is why I wanted to share it.
The Katana 100 head is set up as an AC30 using the CLEAN setting. None of the effects on the amp are used.
The Alesis Microverb patch 151 provided the echo, which you can adjust with the two parameter knobs and the DRY/WET mix control.
I paid £30 on ebay for the Microverb.
Basically it's just a case of plug in and play and that's how it sounds, which I think most players would like to be able to do.
it's a budget Panasonic HC-V100 camcorder that I used to film it, just using the internal microphone. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Gruntfuttock » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:34 pm

Thanks Dave. The YouTube link works for me.
An interesting video.
Dave
Gruntfuttock

Full Real Name: David Michael Redknap

Postby Ubique » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:52 pm

Thanks Dave. Very impressive.
Cheers.
Neil
Ubique

Full Real Name: Neil Shaw

Postby fenderplucker » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:47 am

Hi Dave,

I finally got to see the video.

Nicely played but it seems to me that all it shows is that the Katana is totally dominating the sound: it doesn't matter what guitar is used since they all sound the same through the Katana. This just what we found over here when Gary bought the 100w version and we spent some time with different guitars and effects. The sound was always the same but not "That Sound". I suspect that if you did an A-B comparison with the setup in you demonstration and the original recording (as I have done) you would come to the same conclusion. Gary has now sold it.

Regards,

Paul.
fenderplucker

Full Real Name: Paul Rossiter

Postby Hank2k » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:29 am

a good generic sound and on a budget works well.

I recently played a friends squier bullet strat through a G3x and katana and got a more than acceptable sound and was actually quite surprised how much i enjoyed playing the bullet.

We have never had it so good as guitarists go.

There is still something quite magic that using an old tape echo and an ac30 with blues and a custom shop strat that nothing else gives the feeling and as i have said before if i had a nice home studio that i could set it up and just play at home i would but carting all the stuff about to gigs etc is too much work.

When i take my katana, echo and guitar in two hands in to a venue, setup and strip down in minutes and get a sound 90% of the way there it does make life a lot easier and for that reason solely i prefer it.
Hank2k

Postby tony parnham » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:09 am

Hi Paul, I think the idea of Dave’s video is in it’s title ‘All the wrong Gear’. I thoroughly enjoyed his video because it was raw and impromptu and extremely well executed too. For me I didn’t take it as an A-B comparison 'as such', his approach in demoing loads of different equipment over the years with all manner of gear with Shadows tracks is fresh and interesting and he has made an unprecedented contribution on Shadowmusic with this.
Tony Parnham
tony parnham

Full Real Name: Tony Parnham

Postby dave robinson » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:37 pm

Raw and impromptu are exactly what this is about Tony. I have no interest in comparing with records, that isn't what this is.
I guarantee most guys who play guitar and enjoy the music of The Shadows would happily settle for the sound I got out of this gear for the same outlay.
I say that, based on what I'm told by players that speak to me or contact me via email. It's a sad fact that many of them spend extortionate amounts of money on 'special' amps, allegedly used by The Shadows, when all that is special about them is that a brass plate has been fitted with some writing on with mis-information, as these same amps are the ones anybody can buy, but these cost a grand more. I know that from the guy who built them, he since quit the firm.
It's the same with Custom Shop and Masterbuilt guitars regarding expense, but you are paying for a hand built guitar here so the cost is justified. That said though, owning one won't make anybody a better player, they may as well buy a Squier Classic Vibe or Affinity, which is the purpose of this demonstration.
As for the echo box, we won't go there. They all do a good job at this level.
I've seen Hank perform many times in different bands and situations and the one thing I always notice is that although the sound differs from gig to gig, sometimes drastically, he sounds like himself - not a certain guitar, amp or echo, him ! :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby AC30Alan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:19 am

Hi Dave
Alan Cranny in Ottawa Canada.
Loved your "All the wrong Gear" experiment!
I was impressed by all the gear EXCEPT the Jaguar.
Maybe its my prejudice, but for me a Jag ALWAYS sounds like a Jag
no matter how hard one tries to get anything else from it.
The Strat and the Gretsch are perfect.

I had an Elisis Microverb 4 and loved it.
I upgraded to an Alesis Midiverb III only when the Microverb died.
Great kit. Still use it today.

I appreciate ALL your posts and comments - keep 'em coming
Cheers
Alan.
AC30Alan

Full Real Name: Alan Cranny

Postby dave robinson » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:30 am

This was no attempt to make the Jaguar sound any different to what it does, that was the point of the recording, to show the differences - or in the case of the Gretsch, to show the similarity.
I appreciate your comments and I'm pleased you liked it. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

PreviousNext

Return to Gear