How Eco-friendly are your guitar strings?

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

How Eco-friendly are your guitar strings?

Postby RayL » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:21 pm

This topic is triggered by an email from UK company Strings Direct.
https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/blog/gu ... -to-us.%5D
Lots of sensible advice there, but they've missed out one obvious recycling method - boiling old strings before re-use.
Yes, I've raised this topic before, followed by the usual chorus of "Why bother? Strings are cheap enough anyway", but in these more eco-conscious days, maybe its time has come.
Boiling (with a drop of washing-up liquid) will never bring back the 'zing' of a brand-new set, but the boiled strings sound fresh once perspiration and other gunge has been removed. That 'new string zing' never lasts very long anyway.
If you plan ahead, best not to trim a new set when fitting - you might want to put them (after boiling) on a guitar with a Bigsby.
Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Re: How Eco-friendly are your guitar strings?

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:06 am

I fully get the benefit of boiling basic guitar strings. Getting the gunge off can only be a good thing if you want to extend the strings’ life for a while.

What about coated strings? I use Elixirs. Does boiling do anything for their longevity?

PS - I usually put my plectrums through the complete washing machine cycle. It’s never intentional ...
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Re: How Eco-friendly are your guitar strings?

Postby nivramarvin » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:03 pm

Since I´m using Elixir strings, I only have to change them once a year - or even less.
nivramarvin

Full Real Name: Wolfgang Hefele

Return to Gear