Picks & Plectrums

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Picks & Plectrums

Postby anniv 63 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:43 pm

Had to laugh at the Dava Website showing a massive truck and trailer load.
er um I only require a dozen singles not 100 pallett loads!!!!!

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby bor64 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:33 pm

I started as most of us with a plethora of plectrums all kind of brands and types.
I settled in late 70's for Scottie's orange medium picks, so I bought 2 gross, later they were renamed to Dunlop....
In the 80's I met Hanks several times and got some personal used and new picks, direct out of his stash.
A few of those were Dunlop Tortex M3 (green).
I tried those and I never looked back, better picking control and better sound.

During Hanks solo tours and the last three tours with the Shads and Cliff, we spoke about picks and a lot more.
So I asked him why do you change and inspect your picks on stage so much and put used ones in your pocket... even during numbers?
He answered, I save the old blunt ones and reshaped them with a nail-file :shock:
So I gave him a handful of Dunlop M3 green Tortex, his eyes lighted up an he said....they sound and pick great...better then the GD's , but the GD's have better grip! So I told him use some sandpaper or a grip player ....

Cheers Rob
Last edited by bor64 on Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby Hank2k » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:21 am

ive been using George Dennis picks for a while now. I have brought 3 packs direct from George Dennis so have had 150 of them at some point though i now have about ten!

I find the 1.05 orange ones suit me best but i have some Hank 1.3mm ones and they are also great. The Fender Heavy picks are great for me also but i like the grip on the george dennis ones
Hank2k

Postby bor64 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:51 pm

I find the GD to soft and they wear to quick....see Hanks second hobby aka file a new point on your plectrum!
Although the grip is great, looking at Hanks used picks in my collection the GD's are in the worst shape after a show!

Cheers Rob
bor64

Postby abstamaria » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:04 am

That is quite amazing, Rob. You were quite privileged to have had the opportunity to discuss plectrums and other guitar stuff with Hank Marvin.

I suppose that over the years Hank’s preferences for plectrums changed and evolved, as did his sound. His musical preferences changed too, and I suppose also that what he is using now, particularly for gypsy jazz (assuming he uses a pick), bears little relevance to those of us chasing That Sound.

The video link I posted above is remarkable in that it shows very dramatically how a pick alters a guitar‘s sound. I’ll try the Dunlop Jazz IIIs (definitely not what Hank might have used in 1960!) and compare its sound against the record. The GD Sharps were very close for some of the early pieces.

Best,

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby RogerCook » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:37 am

IMG_20200302_083209.png
I don't know what picks Hank uses for gypsy jazz, but Wegen and Dunlop make picks 3mm or 5mm thick aimed at this style of playing! Personally I've been using Dunlop 2mm with a rounded tip for GJ and Dunlop Jazz 3 XL (the red ones) with a more pointed tip for Shads style playing. I found the George Denis picks gave a different tone (thinner) and wore quicker.
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby bor64 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:10 pm

Hi Andy,

I was very privileged indeed, after a few meetings with Hank, he started to recognized me... when I was visiting the venues he/they played.
So most of the time the deciding moment,to meet up or come inside to the dressing room came from him!
Which was always very pleasant and informative....and sometimes also a kinda lifesaver when it was cold and rainy outside....
Most of the time we were talking all guitar and gear just as two guitar nuts and not the maestro and a drooling fan...
I was very careful not to mention to much about the past or details, a lot of times he looked at me when he was talking about the past...and let me fill in the blanks because he couldn't remember the details.
In total I've ask all I could desire as a guitar nut and fan, I've ask also many questions of some others who wanted to know certain things.
Lots of times Hank mentioned things himself or steering the conversation to a subject what was more interesting for him and me.
Believe me, he was quiet aware what was written on the some shads sites, regarding some threads and some heated discussions.
Most of the time the stage call to soundcheck ended our conversations, sometimes I witness a soundcheck of Hanks(not so showcase as you think, but a eye opener).
The walk from a dressing room to a stage is also not that showbiz as you might think!
Dressing-rooms with lightbulbs around the edge is also a utopia according to Brian when I mention I missed those in his dressing room in Amsterdam.
Sometimes you can hear a certain rhythm guitarist singing his pre-show warming up etc.
In Norwich when I overlooked the stage standing on it, behind the backline it's also not that glamour-us as you see from the seats.
Pre soundcheck/show you just see people doing their works as a professional, no show romantics at all.

Cheers Rob
bor64

Postby Gruntfuttock » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:04 am

I don't know what picks Hank uses for gypsy jazz, but Wegen and Dunlop make picks 3mm or 5mm thick aimed at this style of playing! Personally I've been using Dunlop 2mm with a rounded tip for GJ and Dunlop Jazz 3 XL (the red ones) with a more pointed tip for Shads style playing. I found the George Denis picks gave a different tone (thinner) and wore quicker.

I use the Wegen 500. It’s very thick and extremely comfortable! They are expensive! However I have had three of them for around fifteen years and they still haven’t changed their shape! I use one when I practice at home and “an heir and a spare” for the occasional gig.
Dave
Gruntfuttock

Full Real Name: David Michael Redknap

Postby shadowriter » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:42 am

Thanks for the interesting posts. I bought a box of assorted Fender picks forty years ago and
I have just got down to the last three. Will try some of your suggestions now.
Norman
shadowriter

Full Real Name: Norman Johnson

Postby Hendrickx » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:12 pm

After searching longtime for George Dennis picks 1,30 mm sharp red, the last one was indeed with Muziker. I think you don’t find these anymore.

But perhaps this might be of interest .

From the original manufacturer of the George Dennis, there is now: Janicek Picks. I think the Jazz B and Jazz C come close .
Hendrickx

Full Real Name: Hendrickx Dirk

Previous

Return to Gear