Pick up sound problem

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Pick up sound pronlem

Postby bazmusicman » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:26 am

Maybe you need to move the bridge pick up nearer the strings or move the neck and middle pick ups a little further away from the
strings by adjusting them up or down to even out the balance.

Regards,
Baz.
bazmusicman

Full Real Name: barry palmer

Postby Stu's Dad » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:55 pm

I learned a little trick from another member some time ago. Look on fleabay for small neodymium magnets. They come in various diameters - 4mm 5mm etc - and various thicknesses - 1mm 2mm etc. I used them to balance up a Telecaster bridge pickup that had the opposite problem to yours, the G pole was too high and powerful so I used the disc magnets on th E and B. The result was perfect balance.
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby JimN » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:58 pm

You can't even out the string balance on a given pickup simply by moving it closer to, or further away from, the strings. A pickup is only properly in balance when each polepiece is optimally adjusted so as to achieve the correct volume (which is, to some extent, a matter of taste).

A pickup which doesn't have adjustable polepieces (which more or less includes every well-known Fender guitar model except for those fitted with humbuckers) simply cannot be adjusted for string balance except by staggering the polepieces. This has been possible on some examples of some models, especially the Stratocaster, Jazzmaster and Jaguar where the polepieces might (but only might) be a loose enough fit to be slid up and down within the coil former. I've never been able to slide the polepieces in a Telecaster bridge pickup and it doesn't look as though it's possible at all with a Telecaster neck pickup or the pickup variously used on the Musicmaster, Duosonic and Mustang. Importantly, though, in a flush-height pickup, there is a limit to how high you can adjust the "quiet string's" magnets and the balance may never be quite adjustable to your liking.

If you were happy with the string balance on the neck and middle pickups, you might have been able to get away with just buying a replacement unit for the bridge position (eg, a Fender 57/62 unit).

If string balance is really critical (as it is to some players, though less so for others), there are several UK pickup makers who supply Stratocaster replacement pickups with screw-adjustable pickups. Catswhisker Pickups is one of those, though the tone may be a little too fat for the tastes of a dedicated Strat-player.

http://www.catswhiskerpickups.co.uk/p90.htm
Last edited by JimN on Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby RogerCook » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:20 pm

Just to add to Jim's post above, the polepieces are often stuck to the coil windings through waxing, tightness in construction or just because of age. Pushing them up or down may break the very fine winding wire which would require the pickup to be rewound.
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby bazmusicman » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:40 pm

JimN wrote:You can't even out the string balance on a given pickup simply by moving it closer to, or further away from, the strings. A pickup is only properly in balance when each polepiece is optimally adjusted so as to achieve the correct volume (which is, to some extent, a matter of taste).

A pickup which doesn't have adjustable polepieces (which more or less includes every well-known Fender guitar model except for those fitted with humbuckers) simply cannot be adjusted for string balance except by staggering the polepieces. This has been possible on some examples of some models, especially the Stratocaster, Jazzmaster and Jaguar where the polepieces might (but only might) be a loose enough fit to be slid up and down within the coil former. I've never been able to slide the polepieces in a Telecaster bridge pickup and it doesn't look as though it's possible at all with a Telecaster neck pickup or the pickup variously used on the Musicmaster, Duosonic and Mustang. Importantly, though, in a flush-height pickup, there is a limit to how high you can adjust the "quiet string's" magnets and the balance may never be quite adjustable to your liking.

If you were happy with the string balance on the neck and middle pickups, you might have been able to get away with just buying a replacement unit for the bridge position (eg, a Fender 57/62 unit).

If string balance is really critical (as it is to some players, though less so for others), there are several UK pickup makers who supply Stratocaster replacement pickups with screw-adjustable pickups. Catswhisker Pickups is one of those, though the tone may be a little too fat for the tastes of a dedicated Strat-player.

http://www.catswhiskerpickups.co.uk/p90.htm

Maybe I misread the post, the OP said he had a miss balance between pick ups, not a miss balance between strings. Hence my suggestion to alter the height of the pick up.

Regards,
Baz.
bazmusicman

Full Real Name: barry palmer

Postby Stu's Dad » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:07 pm

Marvinrankin123 wrote:Ok ive found them on ebay
So id need diameter 4mm and 1mm thick yeah???
Thanks Richard

I thnk it's 5mm Richie, they're cheap enough so I bought some 1mm and 2mm, that way you can mix and match them to make any thickness you want.

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Re: Pick up sound problem

Postby ovation553 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:58 pm

hi richard
i hope you get your problem sorted..i have a similar problem on my sx atrat but with me its the unwound third string up about the tenth fret it just seems to do harmonics i too was planning to change pickups to see if that would clear the problem...if you do decide to fit the ironstone golds please let me know how you get on and if you are happy with them
best regards charlie...stay safe
ovation553

Full Real Name: charlie wilson

Return to Gear